Chapter 16

It was weird to let the cops in their house, a man in a casual smart work clothes following them, his hair slightly grey at the end, introduced as a children's psychiatrist.

"My name is Doctor Matthew Finch-Fletchley. So, why don't we go see the children now," the man said, his demeanour no-nonsense, but not threatening either.

"Yes, they're in the living room. My cousin is with them, and our trustee, which is our neighbour," Dudley said, feeling nervous, as if this was a test for school and one wrong answer could fail him for the entire year.

"You are prepared, that's good," the man said, nodding approvingly and following Dudley and Livia in the living room.

"So, this is Edith, our trustee, and our lawyer Roger Davis" Livia said gesturing to the woman, who stood and nervously shook the man's hand, and the lawyer in his suit, who had a more firm grip, "and that there is our cousin, Harry..."

"Harry Potter?!" the man exclaimed, making everyone in the room stare at him, and the psychiatrist flush, "well, I think my son went to school together with you,"

"Oh, did he?" Harry said, looking a little hesitant.

"Yes, Justin Finch-Fletchley," Matthew said, looking a little uncomfortable, "not many get into that school for...gifted young children. I myself had to go through more traditional schooling,"

"Right," Harry said, knowing that Justin was a muggle born. The cops looked a little confused, so he decided to not linger too long on it "well, it was nice being at school with your son. We were in different houses, but I remember him as a good man. But for the moment, I'm here to support my cousin,"

"Ah, yes of course. Let's have a look at the children," Matthew said, "could we have a little privacy?"

"Yes, of course," Livia said, "do you want anything before we leave? I have a tin of biscuits and I can make some good tea?"

"No, I think we'll be fine, but the boys might need a biscuit after this perhaps, mmh?" Matthew said, looking at Freddy and Georgie, who looked back with uncertainty, Freddy clutching his stuffed Ekans closely.

"Are you going to take us away from mommy and daddy?" Freddy asked, "because if you do, I will scream very loudly,"

"Freddy," Livia started to say, but Matthew held up his hand.

"And why would you do that, young man?"

"Because than you would give them back to us, so it'll be silent again," Freddy said, making Matthew nod and note something down.

"You can go now, Mr and Mrs Dudley," one of the cops said, the two of them looking in shock, and it was only when Harry stepped up to them that they left the room.

It was nerve wrecking half an hour, and Livia looked as if she would throw up any moment. Dudley had eaten two entire packages of biscuits, to soothe his nerves, and was about to open a third when the door opened.

Both of them looked at the psychiatrist who stepped out, talking to the cops, but falling silent when they stepped out. He saw the anxious faces look at him, and he smiled at them.

"I think everything seems to be in order. I'll finish up my report, but I have found two loved children, who are very hard trying to stay with their parents," Matthew said, and before he finished his words, Freddy flew past them, knocking firmly into Livia, who winced when his head went into her stomach.

"The mean people aren't taking us away mommy," Freddy said, "now we don't have to ask Harry to magic them away,"

The adults stared Freddy for a moment, Harry fearing for the breach of secrecy that had just happened, but Edith came in the room, laughing.

"What an imagination that kid of yours has, Livia," the woman said, "too many fantasy books?"

"It's not fantasy," Freddy said, but Georgie came over and patted his back.

"Come on, little bro, let the adults sort this out and I'll show you how to do that special boss in my video game," Georgie said, and Freddy's face lightened up.

"Okay, I'm coming now," he said, a little too loud and enthusiastic, but before he left he turned to Dudley, "can I have some biscuits too, daddy?"

"Uh?" Dudley said, looking confused, before he realised he was holding a package of cookies in his hands, "oh, yeah sure, share with your brother,"

"You didn't have to give them the whole package," Livia said, but not stopping her son from running of with them, her relief too large to not give them the entire package.

"So, is there something we can still expect?" Roger asked, all business like.

"Well, not really. We have investigated the claim and found it false," one of the cops said, looking slightly giddy.

"What are you so happy about?" Dudley asked with a frown.

"Me? I'm not happy," the cop said, trying to fold his face back into its usual state. It wouldn't do to tell the civilians that he was more than happy to make trouble for his superior at the police station, and he knew the man and the woman who put in the file has totally misused their power.

He couldn't wait to tell them that their 'concern' was unfunded, and he was more than willing to see them rage, hoping that one day one of them made a mistake and he could take things further.

"I would advise a word of caution," the cop said in the end, not willing to let anyone fall victim to people like that, "your aunt, Marge Dursley, she has friends in high places who would hate to see her fall. I'm guessing there might be some secrets she knows. She can get a lot of things done,"

"You think she'll not let this go?" Dudley asked, feeling his stomach clench in nervousness.

"It's your aunt, I think you know her best," the cop said, "but from what I've seen, I would be cautious,"

"Yes, well, thank you for the warning," Dudley said, not really knowing what else to say. He was afraid of what his aunt could do, and sharing a glance at Harry, he saw that his cousin vividly remembered the nasty woman.

The cops soon removed themselves from the house, leaving a silence behind. It was clear that everyone was still recovering from the shock that had happened, and deep in thought, scared what she could still come up with.

"I guess I'll go home now?" Edith said hesitantly, and Livia immediate went over to her and hugged her.

"Thank you, Edith, for helping us out like this," Livia said, grateful for her neighbour.

"You're welcome. I don't mind helping to take out the trash," the woman said with a grin, "and my Sara would never forgive me if I would let Georgie be taken away,"

"I know," Livia said, smiling at Edith.

"Well, I need to go now, see that my husband hasn't set the kitchen on fire trying to make tea," the woman said with a laugh, but still a little bit of worry showed in her eyes.