~Mini-chapter 3~: Lies

Date to publish: 9/15/23

A/n, day of publication: Oops-
°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°~•~°

"Apo is alive, and he attacked me. I missed him so much... he was my best friend. So I went into the maze to look for him, a dead body, anything for closure. And I found him! The joy and relief I felt hearing his voice through that wall... I wish I could explain it. It was such a beautiful feeling. But when I finally went to meet them, they had some sort of flashback, or mental breakdown, or phycotic episode and attacked me. I lost my eye, my best freind, and any hope that Apo was more than a killer in the same moment. I-... I'm sorry, this just hurts me so much to talk about. I just want my freind back. But now that seems impossible."

Owen stared back at his reflection in the pond.

"Hmm. Not bad. I could touch my eye and wince as well, maybe throw in some voice cracks like I've been crying. Yes. That should do. Well, voices, it's time to go to the meeting. Or the second trial of Apo. Whatever you want to call it."

Owen stood up, successfully tuning out all the anger flooding his brain. Those wimps would have to learn how to fight for a cause.

But when he got to the meeting point, he stopped.

What am I doing?

His dream last night...

Apo's alive!

For a second, Owen felt a pang of guilt strike his chest.

No. We can't stop. This is for the good of the clearing.

Don't you want to protect them?

The pain in his eye was not being helped by the headache that overtook him. But no matter. People were starting to gather.

Soup and Red were the last to show up, just as the maze doors were closing.

As soon as they sat down, Owen stood. He had been facing away from most people, and now he turned around.

As soon as he did, there were gasps from many people. Good. This was a good start.

He took a deep breath and began speaking.

"Greetings and good evening clearing members. As you all know, I called you here for a very important 'meeting'. However, there is more to this gathering than friendly chit-chat. Consider it a trial. First, however, I must address the elephant in the room. My eye. But to tell that story, I have to tell you a story most of you know already. The story of Apo."

As Owen spoke, Apo hid on a nearby tree. Owen recounted everything Apo had done from the lever to the escape. When he was finally done, though, Owen said something that sent a terrible, cold feeling through Apo's chest.

"The last time Apo was front and center in front of this many people, they ran away. Now, we will see if Apo is still a fleeing person. I'd like to call to the stands, my former best freind Apo. For trial for the crimes of prison escape, faking their death, and the attempted murder of Owen Keldor."