~Mini-chapter 4~: Truths

Date to publish: 9/22/23

And I actually published it on the right day! Be proud, guys /j
°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°~•~°

There was nothing but silence for a few moments, but Owen wasn't at all concerned for any of them. He knew Apo was there. And when they emerged from their hiding spot, he smiled a small smile.

This was going to be just as easy as he thought.

"Apo! Welcome back." He said, a small quiver to his voice. If Apo hadn't known better, he'd think Owen was faking confidence.

"H-hey Owen," Apo responded, unsure what to do. The entire clearing was staring at him, whether with shock or distain was difficult to tell. Graecie was first to speak.

"A-apo? But... you were dead! Your horns were on that skull... your horns! They're... g-gone?"

Apo nodded, lightly touching the place they used to be. "I had to, people kept coming to talk to me and I couldn't handle it anymore. If you all thought I was dead... I guess I thought maybe I could get some peace. From the yelling at me for what I did, from the constant emotional abuse, from the reminders I lied to e-everyone I cared about.. from the fact that I lost everyone I cared about."

Apo avoided eye contact with Owen as he talked, staring firmly at the fire in front of him. This was already getting to be too much.

Owen stared at him for a second in surprise, but quickly regained his composure. "Well, since this is a trial, we need a fair one. I say Graecie, being the only unbiased leader should be the judge. Any objections?"

Nobody objected, and Graecie spoke up.

"Well since Rasbi was both of your freind, I think she should also get on the jury. A-and does anyone want to volunteer to defend Apo?"

Red stood up. "I will."

Owen nodded "Well then. We already have an explanation for the faked death and escape, so let's cut to the chase. Apo tried to kill me."

Red took a step forward "That's not true! Apo didn't even touch him!"

Graecie gently pushed Red back to his original spot as Owen (who was standing a few feet away) spoke up.

"Red, listen. I get that Apo was your freind, and it seems really unlike him to hurt anyone. I would've thought the same too. But when I found him in the maze, he lunged at me and scratched out my eye. He said he wanted to kill me, and I barely managed to escape."

Soup walked over to Red and Apo.

"Listen, Owen, I have no clue what happened to your eye. But Apo cane to me near-dead with a spear wound halfway into him. He said you'd gone crazy and nearly succeed in killing him. These are two very different stories, but Apo seemed really genuine."

Owen sighed. "Apo's good at that. He managed to look me in the eyes once and lied straight to my face about pulling the lever. You should know better then to trust them."

"Owen, you're just as good of an actor if not better and you know it. And your little visit to my house? I may not remember much of anything at all from my past but I know an intimidation tactic when I hear it. I will stand by Apo no matter what."

Graecie cut in, frowning. "Apo hasnt had a chance to tell his side of the story yet. Why don't we let him talk?"

Apo took a deep breath and began recounting the reunion.