Chapter 4: Settle Down, Class

"Okay class, settle down." Mr. Andrew said. He has a habit of saying "okay" a lot. "Okay, so there is a nametag on every desk. So just go find yours and sit down, okay? Feel free to talk to anyone near you."

As everyone moved around the class to find their seat, Lu & I went straight to the back, hoping our seats were far, far away from the front of the class. Just as we hoped, they were in the back. There was one problem though: We weren't placed next to each other.

There was someone between us. Someone named Chase. As they finally accepted the harsh reality of this situation and everyone had finally settled in their seats, someone walked in. More specifically, the one and only, Mystery Boy.

It took all of my willpower to not start screaming. Instead, like the dignified person I am, I settled for an internal meltdown and a silent gasp. As did Luna.

We looked at each other as our teacher said, "Okay class, we have a new student."

"Class, this is Chase Davison. Yes, he is the mayor's son, but please treat him like you would any other student." Mr. Andrew finished.

Soon, the whispers started. The judgment. But the boy didn't seem fazed in the least. He simply walked to his desk and sat down. He turned my way and gave me a dazzling smile, making me unknowingly blush. Every girl in the class was glaring at me, all the boys, glaring at Chase. Not that he noticed.

Since today was the first day, we just got to chill. Mr. Andrew's cool like that. Sometimes. Luna immediately whipped out her phone. Soon, Chase and I started talking.

He was a pretty cool guy. Though he had lots of money, he didn't show off. He just acted like a normal teen. I kept seeing kids glaring at us. But it didn't matter because I was too occupied dealing with Luna. She kept glancing at us and smiling. I didn't know why. But if what happened after class was any indication, things were about to get interesting.

~~~

As soon as the bell rang, I waved to Chase and left the classroom with Luna and two of my other friends, Lia and Katie, hot on our heels.

Suddenly, people blocked our path. I looked up to see three girls from our math class. I couldn't tell them apart, considering how I honestly didn't care who they were.

"Who are you again?" I said, bored.

"Well, duh." the red haired girl said, as if I should know. "I'm Laura, that's Elizabeth, and, of course, the one and only, Hallie." The brunette, Elizabeth, huffed, slightly offended. Hallie just ignored them.

"I don't care whether or not you know my name. Just stay away from Chase. His dad and my dad are, like, best friends. They've been friends since forever, which is how Chase and I met. We instantly became friends and have been ever since. He'll be mine, so don't get in my way, got it?" she questioned, menacingly. Luna, Lia, Katie, and I nodded. "Good." she finished, walking away.

"Whoa." Lu said, shaking. "That was so...." I waited for her to finish, to say it was crazy, insane even. Instead she says "AWESOME!"

~~~

After the whole Laura-Elizabeth-Hallie fiasco, Luna, Lia, Katie, and I stayed clear of Hallie and her friends for the rest of the day.

Eighth period came quickly, Theater. My parents made me sign up for it and, turns out, I'm pretty good.

We were preparing for our first play of the year, "CinderBella", a modern version of "Cinderella", when our teacher, Ms. Sacramento, suggested we start picking roles. "Who will be our male lead?" she inquired.

"Chase, Chase, Chase!" everyone chanted.

"Well, now that that's settled, who will be our female lead?" she then questioned.

Everyone was silent.

"How about Charlotte? She's a good actress." someone suggested.

"Who, me? Nope, not happening" I clarified.

"Charlotte, Charlotte, Charlotte!" Everyone cheered. Except for three people, can you guess who? Elizabeth Bennet, Laura Henriks, and Hallie Hamptons, though, Elizabeth just seemed like a quiet person.

"Um, hello? What about me?" Hallie suggested. The room quiets down.

"Yeah, we should be cheering for Hallie." Laura sneers. Elizabeth stayed quiet. "What are you waiting for? Start cheering!" Laura barks.

"Hallie, Hallie, Hallie!" everyone chanted, lacking enthusiasm. Phew, now I won't have to be onstage or in Hallie's way.

After that ordeal, a notebook with a sign-up sheet in it was passed around. Everyone could choose to be an actor or a backstage person. My friends and I chose backstage while Hallie and her friends chose to be onstage. Though, there was a girl I'd never seen before, Eleanor, who also chose onstage. She looked pretty buddy-buddy with Hallie and the other popular kids. She seemed nice though. Nice enough, anyway.

Logan was in this class, too. Logan Smith was Luna's beloved boyfriend. He was a nice guy, so I accepted that without a problem.

After the notebook got back to Ms. Sacramento, she let us do whatever we wanted until she was done writing in the notebook herself. When she was done, she called up the actors and showed them a page: The roles.

She had assigned everyone who'd signed to be an actor a role. Hallie was ecstatic that she and Chase were the leading roles, Bella and Carson.

After reading the description for the play, Ms. Sacramento decided we would need a narrator and that narrator would be me.

"Why me?" I questioned.

"Because, dear, you have a beautiful voice that must be heard." she replied, cheerful.

I brushed off the compliment. Hallie looked as mad as a raging bull while Chase just smiled at me. The bell rang. Time to book it.

"Later, guys!" I called over my shoulder.

"Bye, Charlotte!" I hear back, making me smile.

"Charlotte, wait up! We have a fifth period together!" one of my friends, Tessa, yells.

"Well, come on then!" I replied, slowing down slightly, knowing what all my friends are thinking:

Friends, can't live with them, can't live without them.