part 08 -- like she would die

part 08 —- like she would die

Hana was on Sasuke's nerve the entire walk back to the house. The girl was still unstable on her feet, now back to her ecstatic, drunken self, as if she hadn't been crying fifteen minutes earlier. The last few sips of her alcohol hadn't helped, despite Sasuke's effort to take it away from her.

When they finally reached the house, Sasuke stopped by the door, pulling out his phone. He checked the time, cursing under his breath. An hour past curfew. Sora would be pissed, since she had already been slightly apprehensive about letting Hana go. If it hadn't been for Mikoto, the answer would have been a straight up no.

Sasuke turned to Hana, who still reeked of alcohol. She looked at him as if she were holding in a laugh, her lips pressed into a thin line.

"Act normal," he demanded, "and don't do anything stupid." Hana gave him an exaggerated nod, one that could've knocked herself out. He grimaced, pinching the skin between his eyebrows. I don't have the energy for this.

The two entered the dimly lit living room, where Sora and Itachi had been sitting on the sofa. A movie was playing, and both of them immediately ripped their eyes from the screen and onto the two.

Sora stood up, a scowl on her face. "You're almost two hours late, Hana," she said directly at her daughter, who came to a sloppy halt beside Sasuke.

"Two hours? Really?" Hana slurred, a slight smile on her face as she thought about it. "Wait, I thought I came back with Itachi,"

Sasuke sent a look towards his brother, who returned the same glare.

Hana suddenly turned to Sasuke, a confused look on her face. "Where did you even come from?" she asked, seeming genuinely confused as she eyed him up and down. The last thing that she could clearly remember was walking back home with his older brother.

"Why are you all wet?" Sora asked, her tone beginning to soften, yet her arms were still crossed.

Hana looked down at herself, still confused, before her face lit up. She seemed to remember suddenly, and she let out another giggle, her head falling back.

"We went swimming," she said, as if Sasuke had also entered the water with her. He had, briefly, to save her life when he thought she was drowning herself. "It was... magical,"

Sora sighed to herself, shaking her head. The corner of her lips tugged upwards, only noticeable to Sasuke.

"I think it's time to go upstairs and get some sleep. Sasuke, could you make sure she doesn't fall down the stairs?" Sora asked, and Sasuke had no choice but to nod in understanding.

As the two began their way upstairs, Sora suddenly grabbed a hold of Sasuke's hand. He quickly looked at her from over his shoulder, expecting her to tell him off, just like she had to her daughter. But instead, Sora's eyes were teary, and she softly mouthed a "thank you".