part 26 -- thief in the night

part 26 —- thief in the night

Never did it ever cross Hana's mind that her mother could die so early on in their lives. She always thought it would be impossible, that her mother would die when she was one hundred years old, when her and her brother would be old as well. She knew it was a silly thought since technically they could all die at any second, as that was just the way life went, but now the shock had only just left her body along with a wake of destruction.

She always thought that she would be the first to go. Now, she wanted to leave but she knew she couldn't. She couldn't leave Haru completely on his own, though the thoughts still continuously crossed her mind more than ever now.

How could she live with this pain? The rest of her life without her mother? Just her and Haru.

Maybe if Sasuke wasn't there that night, holding her until she fell asleep, then she would have ended it anyway.

She moved her head to look up at him from where she laid on his chest. He was still asleep, slightly frowning as he did even when he was awake. He had been up almost all night with her, allowing her to cry for hours and hours onto him. She couldn't help but feel guilty for keeping him up, despite the fact that she was grieving and deserved every right to do so. She hadn't slept for a single minute, too busy thinking about her mother and the way life would be from now on.

She returned the side of her face down onto his chest, waves of sadness washing over her. Her shaky fingers curled into a fist and she nuzzled her head into Sasuke's skin as if trying to shield herself from her problems.

A stroke. Itachi had told her, after long time consideration and endless pleading from her, that her mother was suspected to have had a stroke while driving. Her car had rolled off the road and down a hill, and it had taken some time for a hiker to have found it amongst the trees.

Hana was too exhausted to cry anymore, though the heart-wrenching feeling still continued to overtake her underweight body.

She was all alone in the woods.

The inside of her cheek stung, having bitten it repeatedly for hours on end. She ran her tongue along the jagged flesh, tasting the blood. She knew it would scar but she did not care. She continued to dig her teeth into it as she thought.

Then, Haru entered her mind.

She slowly peeled herself away from Sasuke, pulling herself into an upright position. He rolled over onto his side in his sleep, facing away from her. She looked at him for a few moments, mentally thanking him before standing up and leaving the room.

Every step felt like agony, her bones aching and muscles stiff and tense. She winced as she slowly made her way over to Itachi's bedroom door. It was open, though the gap was small,  but she managed to peer through without opening it any further. She could see Haru was still asleep beside Itachi, and tears began to sting her eyes again. He looked as if he had also been crying all night, his cheeks flushed and swollen.