part 14 -- care for her

part 14 —- care for her

Hana had originally thought that the ointment had worked, as the pain slowly seemed to lessen each time she applied it to her wounds. It had only been a day since she started using it, but she noticed she could walk without feeling the sharp, stinging sensation with every step that she took.

Until two days later, when she woke up with sweat coating her skin and her bones rattling underneath the two layers of blankets. She was freezing, despite the warm sunny day outside her window. Great.

She sat up in bed, pulling the blanket down to reveal her legs. She carefully lifted the hem of her oversized t-shirt, hissing when she realised that the fabric of her shirt was stuck to the infected cuts. She clenched her teeth together, reaching over to grab the unfinished glass of water by her bed. She let the water trickle over the fabric until she could remove it.

Her eyes widened at the sight of thick gooey pus accumulating on her wounds, a tell-tale sign of infection that needed to be treated as soon as possible. This was definitely not the way she wanted to go— severely ill, suffering until her very last breath.

A knock on the door, followed by her mother's voice called out to her. She flinched, immediately dropping the shirt over her thighs again. "Come in," she said nervously, pulling the blanket over herself again.

Her mother came in with a pleasant smile on her face, a wide-brimmed beach hat on top of her dark hair. Her and Haru seemed to be radiating with happiness ever since they got here. The flame of light and serenity that once surrounded her, before Hana's illness, had reignited once again. Hana was happy for her mother and her little brother. She truly was, but she also couldn't help but feel guilt for everything she puts them through each day. If it weren't for Mikoto, who knew what they would all have been doing instead.

Despite her happiness, Sora's smile faltered when she caught sight of her daughter and immediately began rushing over.

"Are you okay, Hana?" she asked, pressing the back of her hand against her forehead. "You're quite hot—"

"Yeah," Hana forced out a cough, swallowing dryly. "I think I caught something. I'm okay though, I'll make sure to get some medicine later today."

"You need to see a doctor," Sora corrected.

"I know. I will. I already booked it a few minutes ago when I woke up."

"Hm," Sora raised an eyebrow at Hana, but thankfully, she let whatever she was thinking slide. "I'll stay here with you,"

"No, mom. I'm fine. After my appointment, I'll be busy applying for jobs for when we get back home." she lied, slowly re-adjusting her position on the bed. "You go. Haru's really excited for the waterpark. He won't stop talking about it."

Sora still looked unsure. "I don't know Hana, you look awful."

Hana rolled her eyes. Could a single day go by without someone telling her about how terrible she looked? "I'm fine, mom. Please go, 'cause I can't focus when you're around."