part 25 -- part of the story

part 25 —- part of the story

The pair had returned home each with an onigiri in their hand— one of Sasuke's favourite food. He couldn't help but feel a sense of appreciation for the girl, and every now and then, he caught himself staring at her for too long. Today, she seemed like her true self again and Sasuke had only seen her like this a handful of times. Each time it managed to do something to him. Something completely unfamiliar and difficult for him to he embrace just yet, although he wanted to so badly.

"I love you, Sasuke,"

Those four words hadn't left his mind since the moment she had said it. He had wanted to tell her that he loved her too, more than she loved him. But he couldn't. He just couldn't.

He didn't really know why. Perhaps it was his stubborn side continuing to overpower his softer side. It didn't help that she was the first girl he had ever loved, and so the feeling was quite foreign to him.

He just really hoped that she knew he loved her too, without him having to say it.

He didn't want the day to end just yet. It was only after lunch by the time the two had arrived back at the house, but Sasuke had been having a really, really good time with her. He adored that side of her, and he just wanted to help bring it out more often. Seeing her be so happy, it was hard to believe that this was the same girl who still struggled with her mental health. Who, under those clothes, had her hurt cut through her skin.

"Are you okay?" Hana had suddenly asked as she walked beside him on the porch, heading towards the front door.

Sasuke looked at her, giving her a reassuring smile. It's okay, she is okay right now. "Yeah,"

Hana gave him a toothy grin as well before pulling the door open for the both of them. In an incredibly chatty mood, Hana began talking about some random movie she wanted to see. Sasuke made sure that he took a mental note of it, contemplating whether or not they should go see it that night or another.

As he thought, he pushed the front door open and became face to face with his mother and father.

The looks on their faces was one that he had only seen when his grandparents had died.

... had died.

As soon as he had realized, the anguish had instantly hit him and his breathing had come to a halt. It was as if everything had paused— his parents standing there, Hana, who was hadn't noticed them just yet, standing behind him.

Sora can't be dead. It can't be part of the story. It just can't be—

Hana fell quiet as she finally noticed them, her smile faltering and her breath hitching. Finally, Mikoto broke.