part 20 -- it's not enough

part 20 —- it's not enough

Hana sat on the edge of a wooden dock that floated on top of the body of water, staring up at the moon who looked extra glorious tonight. The cold wind blew, sending a chill down her back. She tightened her grip around the cream woollen blanket she held around herself, exhaling shakily out of her mouth.

Her and Sasuke had only just arrived back at the house after, what Hana considered, an incredible night at the carnival.

She had decided to go for a walk before bed. She had suddenly felt as if she were suffocating within the walls of the house, and she wasn't sure what was causing it specifically. Maybe it was the way her mother and Mikoto went on about how awfully proud they were that she had pulled through during this trip and committed in doing things, such as going to the party and the volunteer work, and now going to the carnival. Mikoto talked about how much of an amazing job Hana had done painting the room with her. Their words had become overwhelming, striking every nerve in her body until she felt like she could scream.

Now, she sat in complete silence, listening to the waves roll over each other.

She heard footsteps behind her but she didn't move. Even if it were someone who was coming to murder her, she didn't really care.

Of course, it wasn't a murderer. It was Sasuke, who seemed to love appearing wherever she happened to be.

Nevertheless, she had grown fond of him. Sometimes, she found herself genuinely enjoying their time together, and she was beginning to get used to his cold personality. She knew that deep down, he had an enormous heart. She also knew that he struggled with his own mental battles. Anxiety was clearly a big one. She noticed him struggling to breathe every so often, as well as the nightmares he had almost every night, the sound so bone-chilling that she wondered what he would see to make him believe that they were so real.

Sometimes, she just wanted to hold him again. He needed that. He needed someone to hold him. If only he let her hold him all the time.

She didn't look up when he sat down beside her, still ensuring he left a good distance between them. Which Hana kind of found funny, since he had no sense of personal space when it came to those two times they had sex. He averted his gaze from her to the moon, just as she was.

Neither of them spoke for a few minutes. It felt nice— having him sit there with her. His presence almost felt as if it were warming the cold breeze, like a little fire beside her. She felt herself lightly smile at the thought but her eyes didn't change.

"Can I ask you something?"

"What?"

"Why are you angry at Itachi?"

The warmth radiating from his aura seemed to evaporate as quickly as the words left her mouth. Another chill ran down her spine and she shifted uncomfortable beneath the blanket. She kept her eyes on the moon.