chapter sixty four

The rhythmic beeping sound of the machine made me wake up. I blinked my eyes several times to get rid of the blurriness. I heard raspy breathing from nowhere and I soon realized it was me breathing like that. An oxygen mask was fixed to my nose. I felt like I was breathing in dry air so I removed it.

I saw my leg on a sling again and I felt like crying. I wanted to say something but words choked up in my throat making me to start coughing.

"Khair!" I heard people's voice said. I looked around me and I saw my mum,mummy Salima,uncle Haroon's younger sister mummy Laila and a face that wasn't familiar.

"Water please." I said in a voice that doesn't belong to me. It sounds weird and raspy.

"They said you can't drink water immediately you wake up so.." my mum started but I interrupted her.

"What? Why? I'm very thirsty." I almost cried.

"Let me call the doctor." My mum said and went out.

'sorry Khair'

'how are you feeling'

'Where are you hurting'

'Sorry'

That was all I kept hearing and my head kept spinning,ready to fall off. My vision became blurry again and I didn't know how to tell those people to keep shut.

"Pls. You all should go out and give her space." The doctor said and they all went out thankfully. I was examined and asked some questions. I answered but I don't really know what I was saying. I was given sleeping pills and I slept off again.
.........
A week later

I got discharged the morning I clocked seven days in the hospital. A lot happened that week but the main one was my dad came back healthy and sound.

He explained that it wasn't houses in Bauchi that caught fire,it was their farms. Just two lives were lost in that fire outbreak. My mum cried her eyes out and kept saying that she will never allow her husband to travel there again. They will just be sending money to the sheikh but never ever will anyone of them go to Bauchi.

The amount of people that came to visit me in the hospital was countless. My neighbors,some of my close family relatives. They brought many goodies with them which I mostly didn't even glance their way talkless of eating it.

Ahmad and uncle Haroon were always keeping me company for the past six days.

"Khair,you are the only one we are waiting for." Uncle Haroon yelled knocking the toilet door.

"Just go. I will be outside in a minute." I said and adjusted the cap on my head.

"Who will take you out of the toilet? Be fast joor."

I rolled my eyes and told him I was done. He opened the door and came to my side. I held his shoulder and he held my waist.

"How are you still so fat despite eating little to nothing. See how heavy you are." Uncle Haroon complained.

"If not because of condition, do you think I will allow you to hold me? And Ahmad offered to hold me but you were been grumpy saying that he wasn't my mahram. Now deal with it."

"If you don't keep quiet I will leave you and see how you will walk outside yourself." He threatened and I snickered.

We walked ever so slowly. He carefully sat me down on the wheelchair. Yes, wheelchair. The doctor said I had compound fracture due to the fall and it will take time to heal so that was what brought about the damn wheelchair!

Anytime I'm on that chair,I will just feel like crying. Tho,the doctor's said that I won't be sitting on it forever, it's just a temporary chair and in a month time,my leg should be okay and I won't need the wheelchair anymore.