Chapter One: Escape

JAKE POV
(one week ago,  in the mine)

Man,  these mines sure are complex.  On top of being dark,  damp, and a labyrinth,  my flashlight is no longer working.  This means my only source of light is my phone, but I need to use it sparingly so as not to drain the battery. 

I take a glance at my phone's notifications and smile. She said it back.  Her, of all people. I think of her hair,  how soft and warm it must feel to touch. Her fair skin, dotted with the gentlest of freckles.  Her big,  brown eyes reminded me of giant pools of chocolate. Her soft lips, a pale blush that compliments her skin so beautifully.

I feel that little and painful tug at my my chest that I have felt a million times before while talking with her.  Do you know how much it hurts to know how she feels about you? It is the same as your feelings for her, only to be constantly apart, never to be truly together. It is why I can only enjoy the little moments of our chats together.  Because the reality is us ever getting a chance to really meet,  face to face,  is one in infinity. Because she could never,  really truly,  happy in a life with me. I tried so hard to get her to leave me alone.  Giving her zero excuse to like me,  and yet ...

And yet,  she managed to break down every single one of my many barriers and take ahold of me. 

Lost in my thoughts,  I hear someone walking.  Shit!

I turn off my phone light and disappear into the darkness.

*
*
*
*Today*

EVER POV

After responding back to my Duskwood friends,  I toss my phone back and forth,  hand to hand. With my anxiety now sky-high, I groan with impatience and put my screen up to my face.  I find Jessy's number in my recent calls,  hoping that this time will reach a different answer other than her voice-mail.

Ring

Ring

Ring

"Hello?" Jessy answers in half asleep-half annoyed tone.

"Oh my god, JESSY!!" I accidentally screamed into my phone.

"Ouch, Ever! I haven't even had my morning coffee yet!"  She complains.

I chuckle softly. "Sorry! I'm just so excited to hear your voice again! You have us all worried."

"I know,  I really, truly am deeply sorry. It's just.. after Richy...I.." She trailed off. 

I knew exactly what she meant by that.  After seeing that horrifying, and if I'm being honest, nightmarish mask. Something changed in me at that moment. All of my fears, those horrible phone calls,  I will never be the same.  I start to tear up. 

"Oh, Jessy." I sob to her on the phone.  "Even after his explanation and confession, I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND!" I cry out. 

"I know,  Ever. It feels as though you can never trust anyone ever again.  Even those you love the most."

That makes me stop for a moment.  'Love'.

No. 

'I love you,  Ever.'

Oh my god.

Why did I stop?  Why did I lose hope?

"Hey,  Jessy?" I ask softly.

"What is it,  Ever?" She replies.

"Where is Duskwood, by the way?"