Chapter Five: Motel

JAKE POV

After walking for what felt like forever,  I finally made it to the next town.  Thankfully, I never go anywhere without a decent amount of cash, so I can always find a place to stay.  At least this town does have a little motel that I can crash in for a while.  I noticed that they have a train station here,  so if I need to make a quick getaway, that is an option at least.  They stop running at 10 pm, though,  so I need to keep that in mind.  It's been days since I ate something other than a protein bar, so I should really find something to eat. But that can wait until after I've had some sleep.  I get my room key from the front desk and go to my room.  I may not have all of my equipment,  but I do at least have a laptop I can use to check on my pursuers and make sure they are still off my trail.  It looks like they have left Duskwood for the time being, but I can't be too careful.  I received a notification of a connection nearby, but this can't be right. 

They're in the same area as me.  In this same motel.  I take a closer look at who it could be.  My heart flutters. Am I reading this correctly?

*
*
*
EVER POV

After my shower,  I feel a lot more relaxed.  I put on my silky pajamas and go sit on my bed. I see that there are a couple of tea and coffee packets on the desk and two cups. Maybe that will help me sleep better,  but I can't make myself move yet. This exhaustion I'm feeling plus my crippling anxiety for no reason whatsoever.  I close my eyes and try my breathing techniques.  Just as soon as I'm starting to feel a tiny bit better,  there's a knock on my door.  Who on earth could be knocking on my door at this hour? I'm curious,  I admit,  but still. I go ahead and finally get the strength to stand up and go to the door. I open the door,  thinking it must be someone from the front desk with something for me.  But all I see when I open the door is a tall figure,  dressed in all black,  wearing a black hoodie.

"Can I help you?" I nervously ask.

"You're here..." He looks at me with a relieved look on his face. 

Oh my god.

I look closely at him,  trying to figure out if I'm right. 

I can't see his face,  probably because of the mask covering everything except his eyes.

His eyes... they're so dark and would be terrifying to anyone else who didn't want to run into someone like him.  But I don't feel scared at all,  I feel my gaze glued to his.  I can sense that he wants to say something,  but it seems to be having a hard time figuring out what to say. 

"A-are you all right? Can I get you something?" I manage to stutter out. 

"No. " He says.

More silence.  I'm not quite sure what to do in this situation.  Whether to scream for help or to stay right where I am, and keep holding his gaze.

At this point, I'm not sure why I can't move.  Because it's not out of fear.  I'm just stuck.

"Ever..." He finally says, in a soft tone.

"Jake?" I whisper,  tears starting to prick my eyes.

He looks straight into my eyes, bearing into my soul. 

And before I know it, he grabs me and pulls me into a strong hold.

"It's really you. " He whispers, not letting go of me. 

At this point, my eyes start to burn with hot tears streaming down my cheeks.  And he pulls us both into my room,  still not letting go,  but managing to shut the door and lock it.