Greenhouse's Limits

Today I was walking outside and the grass was so dry it was CRUNCHY when I stepped on it, and I was like "I bet I could describe that all nice!" and then it was "why not make an entire fucking oneshot to go with it" AND THEN IT WAS "yeah let's make this really short oneshot as an excuse to describe fucking crunchy grass"- but now we are no longer describing crunchy grass because i got WAY too into the storyline itself. even if the story is basically just "curious wants his daily dose of vitamin d because the hotel doesn't have enough fucking windows"

     so now we have, uh, this au i've had stuck in my head for a while- i've planned a fic for this idea but since this ain't gonna spoil anything, we're fine. plus, this bit of ✨fucking minor detail✨ isn't going to hold any significance to the plot. yay, useless content! (i hate this particular oneshot so much omg-)

     now that the introductions are over, enjoy- i guess?

~

     It was the midst of the summer heat. The poor air conditioning had been running for so long it had been failing at random times and leaving the hotel in an uncomfortable state of a sticky humidity. The temperatures were slowly climbing their ways to a hundred degrees, and as the days passed the air conditioning had been running less and less.

     Curious was getting the worst of it- his family had moved in from higher North when he was four, and he'd never managed to get used to the blaring Southern heat; even now, as they were in an abandoned island surrounded by water and forest, he seemed to be sweating his own skin off as the air conditioning broke down again. 

     He grumbled a swear word under his breath as he pulled his collar a little, unfortunately still in working hours and unable to change out of the collared shirt and only leave the tank top underneath. Wearing black by itself was already bad enough in these temperatures.

     The Rooms was surely a lot cooler- the branch of alternate reality that had somehow connected to their Hotel always had colder temperatures, but he couldn't go in unless there was a player before him. The entities there were nice enough- but the first person to enter was always tagged as a target by A-90, as were all the others that followed; Curious still didn't know how they were able to single him out and keep his head on his body.

     No, he was better off alive- even if it meant he had to sit through all this heat. He could hear distant noises approaching- were the players finally going to unlock the Rooms door or something of the sort?

     A small shattering of lights, immediately followed with a series of screams told him otherwise. Curious checked his watch.

     1:57 AM read the time, which meant it was only three minutes until he was on break. Curious peeked his head out of the entrance to the Rooms maze- he'd heard a slight shimmer, that probably meant the players were dead.

     Yep. A blue glow surrounded the room as two bodies laid mangled on the floor. Ambush seemed proud of himself, an almost maniacal grin on his face as the blue glow started fading away. Curious stepped out, mumbling a small "hi" as the players both suddenly glitched away. Curious could hear a small static noise from behind him, and a hand tapped on his shoulder as he turned around.

     "Hi!" There was a flicker of a smile on Guiding's face, like he was trying not to grin too hard. "I'm never going to be able to get used to all of this 'go in that dude's head and tell 'em some stuff before you leave and let them slowly revive' crap. It's honestly kind of creepy- but like, Void said, so oh well."

     "Yeah, it was already scary enough talking to people in the first place," Curious muttered, more to himself. "That rainy void is... uncomfortable."