Chapter 18

'Your father is back, Zhan'

That is what Xiao Zhan saw when he opened the message he receives from Zoucheng. He tightened his hold on the stirring wheel. And he could feel cold sweat forming on his forehead.

"Why now!?", Zhan frustratedly shouts inside his car, and stepping on the accelerator. Driving fast to get home... Or can he even call it home now?

Xiao Zhan steps out of his car, unsure whether to enter their mansion or not, because doing so will mean the end of his freedom. The freedom he felt when his father got hospitalized for almost a decade now, that was the first time he felt the true feeling and meaning of freedom.

And now that his father has returned, he doesn't want to feel the suffocating feeling of being trapped in a room with no way out when his father is present. He doesn't want to feel it again, just like of what he felt when he was a helpless and naive child.

He can't help but think about the past.

*Flashback*

"Dad, can I play with my friends?" asked Xiao Zhan to his father, who was engaged writing something on his study table.

Mr. Xiao set his pen down and looked at Zhan sternly, as if scrutinizing his entire being. And his evident displeasure is written all over his face. Little Zhan became terrified and stood stiffly in place.

After a long silence, all he received is a simple "No" from his father and resumed to its work. But Zhan being a stubborn child that time said, "B-but I... I already f-finished my homework."

All of a sudden, his father slammed his table, causing little Zhan to flinch and stumble back. He threw his son a deadly gaze.

"If you have that much time on your hands, why don't you study more to maintain your marks instead of wasting your time on frivolous things?" his father remarked firmly.

Little Xiao Zhan became terrified, and there's tears welled up in his eyes. He squeezed his fists around the hem of his shirt. It's always like this when Zhan asks his father for permission, and he eventually grew used to the fact that asking his father will always be the same as it is now. And he got used of just looking to the neighborhood's children playing outside and wishing that he could do the same.

When he finally started primary school after being homeschooled, it was not an easy start because he was bullied at in school, mainly because the other kids' parents told them to avoid him because of his father. Xiao Zhan's father is a well-known businessman who is known for his knowledge and kindness to people, but everything changes when their company goes bankrupt and his mother dies. However, after three years, the Xiao Corporation reappears, this time with a greedy for power and full of vengeance Xiao Zhang.

Xiao Zhan grows up on a strict upbringing of his father. Honing him to inherit their company in the future. And always reminding him to annihilate the Wang's, to bring his mother's justice. To please his father, he adopts all his father teaches him and becomes a well-mannered and composed guy, bright and intelligent in whatever he does.

*Flashback End*

Xiao Zhan can't help to let out a long sigh before he entered their mansion. When he entered, he noticed his father seated on the wide sofa in the living room. The last time Zhan saw his father is one year ago, and his father was so different from his previous self, nine and a half years ago, before he was admitted to the hospital in the US due to Stoke.

When his father was gone for therapy, Xiao Zhan suffered greatly to manage their business, despite the fact that he was just merely 20 years old at the time. Many people doubted his abilities since he was so young, but he proved them wrong. With his extensive experience he learned from his father and strong leadership, he made the Xiao Corp. as one of the biggest companies in China again. He established his name and proved to those who doubted him that he is worthy of the position he possesses. Making him one of the most respected persons in the business industry and even called him a "Genius" in entrepreneurship.

When his father noticed him, he rose from his seat using his crane and with the help of its right man hand, Lui Dao Min. Looking at his father, Xiao Zhan is certain that it's not a good news.

"Dad," Zhan murmured as he bowed to his father.

His father had a scowl on his face.

"What is the meaning of this, Xiao Zhan?" his father yelled throughout the house, tossing a whole bunch of photos in front of him. He flinched and glanced at the pictures thrown to him with his and Yibo's face imprinted. Zhan's expression went solemn, and he turned to face his father, who was staring at him with a hateful gaze.

Xiao Zhan's mouth formed a thin line, but then he smirked, that turned into a laugh while picking up the photo of him and Yibo. He looked back to face his father and lifted the photo in mid-air to present it to him.

"You mean this?" Zhan says, grinning to his father as if it's a joke, and his father frowns at him even more.

"Just answer my question, Xiao Zhan," his father asks again gravely.

"Come on Dad. What do you think this is?", Zhan asks back, while playing the photo with his fingers.

"You had better not do what I thought, Xiao Zhan. He belongs to the Wang's. Remenber that he is our enemy, and they are the reason why your mother is no longer with us," his father stated with full of hatred in each word he said. 

Hearing his father, Xiao Zhan's smile grew wider.

"Dad... Have you heard the saying, 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?'" Zhan asks, with his eyes fixed on his father's.

His father got deafeningly quiet.

When Zhan didn't get a response, he continues, "It is wise to keep your friends and enemies close because these are people it is important to know and understand.  If you want to win a battle, you should get to know your enemy better so you can always be one step ahead of him and aware of what his next move."

A long silence surrounds them, then his father spoke,

"Then this-," his father begins, but pauses mid-sentence, then smiles broadly as though finally grasping what his son meant. 

 "That's right, dad. Bringing him closer to us and earning his trust will benefit us. He will be our key to destroy the Wangs, and we will finally be able to avenge what they did to mom."  Zhan said seriously and clench his fist while saying the last words.

"You are truly my son," his father stated as he approached him with a sneer on his face.

He put a hand on Xiao Zhan's shoulder. Looking so proud of his son's excellent plan on how  they will take down the Wangs.

"Keep going, son. Get that bastard's son's full trust, and when we collect all the things we need, we will crush them into pieces." Zhan's father muttered, its face looking like a maniac.

"I understand, Dad." 

____

Hello folks!!! How are you all doing?

I know that I said previously that I'll stop writing for good, but when I got sick for days now, the ideas I have for this story is flooding my head. And I can't stay still until I finally write it into words. That's why I'm here again to give you this.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. And yes of course, Stay safe and healthy everyone. (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤