⨳ 8

“There is a ranking system

“There is a ranking system.”, Jeno starts. “It's a system created to track your skill level and your thirst for blood.”, he explains.

Yuzhuo listened intently as he carried on. “The more you kill, the more your rank increases. It's gruesome.”, he said.

Yuzhuo felt a shiver go down her spine as she let out a shaky sigh. “Okay...”.

“Top rankers are the top 5% of the student body. Only given to the best of the best, they are highly respected and admired around here. I myself am a top ranker.”, he said.

Yuzhuo slowly nodded, processing the new information she had obtained. “Do I have a rank?”, she asked.

“Have you killed anyone yet?”, he questioned, earning a firm nod in return from the girl. Jeno smirked.

“You'll receive your rank in due time.”, he said lazily, his eyes lingering on her own.

“But now that that's out of the way. What are you doing alone?”, he questions, his eyebrows furrowing in thought. “You're supposed to be with Haechan.”.

Yuzhuo let out a sigh, her number one priority finally dawning on her. “I left him with another student to come find help.”, she explained.

Jeno eyebrows furrowed even more as he gave her a questioning look. “Help? Why? Did something happen?”, he asked.

She gave him a light nod as her lips slowly dipped down into a frown, the memories replaying in her mind. “He got shot...”.

Yuzhuo felt a pang in her heart as she could feel the guilt creep in. He got hurt because of me, she thought.

Jeno smiled as his body relaxed. “Oh, good. I thought something bad happened.”, he blurted out, shrugging his shoulders.

Yuzhuo's mouth flew open as she stared at him in complete and utter disbelief. “You-”, she began, but was cut off by the delicate touch of Jeno's fingers running through her hair.

She froze, staring at him wide-eyed. “I'm kidding. Where is he?”, Yuzhuo brushed back the feeling in the pit of her stomach as she fell into her own thoughts.

That was when the fact of the matter had finally sunk in. The school was huge and despite the personal tour Hoseok had given her the day before, she had yet to memorize the layout.

“I have no idea...”, she whispered. Jeno let out a long sigh, massaging his temples before he placed his hands in his pockets.

“That's okay. We'll just search around.”, he said, reassuring her. She gave him a thankful smile as they stepped out of the classroom, entering the hallway.

One more thing to note, she thought, Jeno is the calm one.

She smiled lightly at her own thoughts as the two began to look around.

Na Jaemin. Student Council treasurer. Also, a heavy worrier.

A VERY heavy worrier.

“Yah! Haechan?!!!”, Jaemin's concerned voice echoed through the hallway as he approached the injured boy, glaring daggers into Beomgyu's eyes.

Haechan widened his eyes as Beomgyu took a couple steps back, intimidated by the new presence. “Jaemin?”.

“What the hell happened!!”, Jaemin yelled out, crossing his arms with a stern look on his face.

Haechan rolled his eyes and raised his finger to point at Beomgyu. “Oh. He shot me.”, he said nonchalantly, as if it didn't matter at all.

Jaemin strudded over to Beomgyu, grabbing him harshly by the collar. “You shot him?!!! You motherfucker!!!”, he growled, causing Beomgyu to flinch.

“W-wait-”, he stuttered, scared for his life. “Shut up!”.

“Jaemin! He had his reasons!”, Haechan tried to speak for the shaking boy, but to no prevail.

“Reasons or no reasons. He shot you! And so he's going to die!”, Jaemin announced, throwing Beomgyu onto the floor before he gripped the gun on his side, cocking it.

Haechan took a deep breathe, ready to argue with Jaemin over the matter until he realized something.

“Where's Yuzhuo? Didn't you run into her?”, he asked, his lips dipping into a frown.

“No? I haven't seen her since she left with you.“, he said, as if it were obvious.

Haechan stared at him wide-eyed as his face filled with worry. “She's been gone for twenty minutes...”, he whispered, but was enevitably heard by Jaemin.

He narrowed his eyes, glaring at the boy. “What do you mean?”, he seethed.

“She left to go find help for me...”, he let out, aggravating Jaemin. “YOU LET HER GO ALONE?!!”, he screamed.

“SHE WAS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY LEE DONGHYUCK! MY GOD!”, he growled.

Haechan raised his hands above his head. “I swear, I didn't mean to leave her alone like this, it's just... I'm kind of immobilized.”, he deadpanned.

Jaemin swallowed his anger as he shoved his gun back into his pocket.

As much as he hated to admit it, Haechan was right. He couldn't follow her even if he wanted to. “You're a real pain in the ass, yknow that.”, Jaemin said.

Haechan rolled his eyes again as Jaemin approached him, kneeling down in front. “This will hurt...”, he spoke softly.

Haechan squeezed his eyes shut as he gripped onto Jaemin's shoulder tightly.

He trembled, trying to fight back the pain as Jaemin dug into his wound, fishing for the bullet.

Beomgyu watched in horror until Jaemin had successfully removed the bullet, ripping off a piece of his shirt to wrap around his wound.

As if on cue, loud footsteps were heard as the three boys lifted their heads. “Oh, Jaemin!”, Yuzhuo called out.

The three of them froze as Yuzhuo had come back with Jeno right behind her.

“You already got help?”, she asked Haechan. He just stared at her, a certain look in his eyes.

Yuzhuo frowned at the three of them as Jaemin suddenly rose from his position, taking steps towards the girl.

Before she knew it, she was brought into his tight and warm embrace.

She was beyond confused, unsure of what was happening. Why were they acting so weird? Why was Jaemin hugging her?

“Next time, don't go anywhere alone, okay?”, he spoke softly, allowing Yuzhuo to relax. She slowly lifted her head, staring straight into his eyes.

With a slow nod, Jaemin hesitantly stepped back, releasing their embrace.

So that's why.., she thought, they were worried about me...

, she thought, they were worried about me

👀