Chapter 41: Conduct A Search

AN: I have a surprise at the bottom!

⚠️CONTENT WARNING⚠️
Smoking, Imprisonment, Drunkenness, Domestic Violence, Hangover, Mentions of Violence, Mentions of Pregnant Drinking, Mentions of Jail, Mentions of Drugs, Mentions of Whitepaging, Mentions of Weaponry, Mentions and Implications of Suicide, Missing Piercings, Platonic Fluff, and Underground Nursing and Adoption.

I open my eyes and sit up quickly; gasping for air. I look around in the dark before seeing a hint of sunlight. Why is Peter working with all these people? Even our old Sonographer? I hold my belly and start to feel Liam's small kicks, and I feel at ease again. I need to keep him safe, and I need to get out of here somehow.

Saturday, August 5, 2023

5 days and 11 hours

>Sarah's POV<

I bailed Peter out last night after some paperwork, and thankfully I just used his own account because he's still an idiot with the simple password 'firetruck123'. He came back to the apartment through the city bus and pretty much just stayed in his room. It's now 11:37 in the morning. I make some coffee and look out the window of the back deck. I hold the lime green cup in my hands as I feel worry in my gut, Peter has been acting so strange lately, and I just want to know why. I hear some quiet traffic sounds, and it is somehow soothing to me, especially after living in the rural part of Arkansas. I jump and almost spill my coffee as I hear the door open, and I look back to see Peter with mail in his arms "Where were you?" I ask hatefully, holding the cup protectively "Out." He replies as he walks to the kitchen "How long have you been out? I never even heard you leave." I say "Yeah, probably because you snore through a blowhorn. Look, it's still my home, I can leave whenever I want." He snaps "Have you even talked to the Detective yet?" I ask "Jeez, get off my back, will ya? I just got home." He snaps "From where?" I ask. Peter glares at me, and I can smell it. "The bar." I say angrily before shaking my head. "Do you honestly think that this is what Yvonne would want from you?" I ask "Don't say her name." He says sternly. I walk to the kitchen counter and stand across from him as he sorts through a big pile of mail "Why, hmm? What happened to her?" I ask. He glares at me "I don't know. I don't have time to deal with you today." He says darkly before slamming down a letter right in front of me and walking to the front door "Where are you going, Peter?" I ask "To go smoke. Is that okay, Sarash?" He asks angrily. My eyes widen before giving him an odd look "I thought you didn't smoke anymore...?" I say questioningly "I don't." He says with a huff before slamming the door. I sigh and shake my head. I now look down at the letter 'Peter Sarah King' the name says as the letter reads 'C O N F I D E N T I A L' in purple Italics across it. I turn it around and gently pull at the seal flap. I pull out the envelope and read the letter carefully.

"Grand Vernal Community College
P.O. BOX 264 CHEERY LN
VERNAL, UTAH 84079

August 1st, 2023

Dear TestTaker, Sarah King,

Congratulations on completing the SAT and ACT. Your ACT score is a composite of 22, and your SAT score is a composite of 1000.

These achievements are very well, and were sent out to colleges in your state.

With your scores, you will get multiple admissions.

Be sure you print out this sheet so you can show your future college or career.

Signed,

Jenny O'Neal, Pres. of GVCC"

My eyes widen before tears sting my eyes. I, I did it! I wipe my eyes and look around...to find nobody. I sigh sadly and walk out the door; leaving my letter on the kitchen counter. I get a Meber and head to Lucy's apartment, feeling excitement and depression in my heart. Yvonne would be proud of me, she believed in me. I head inside and walk to Lucy's door. I knock twice and cross my arms whilst looking down. I really wish I can tell Yvonne about my scores, where is she? I jump as I hear the door open, and I look up to see Lucy "Hey, girl. I've got work in a couple of hours, I've got two weeks of this." She says. My eyes widen "Oh...well, I can come back." I say "Nah, I work a double. What's up?" She asks "I was thinking that maybe we should go to the media and conduct a search party." I say "Yeah, that could work. Especially now that her alert is out there." She says before I cross my arms "Also, Peter was incarcerated and hospitalized last night." I say. Lucy's jaw drops "What?!" She shouts before shaking her head in disbelief "He used to have a bad drinking problem, but he cleaned himself up. Last night he got so drunk and got in a bar fight. I had to post his bail." I say "Oh wow, I don't even know what to say." She says "I know, something is wrong with him. Last night he talked to a Dr. Browning and a Dr. Opal." I say "Dr. Browning, yeah, that was Yvonne's old Doctor. He's finally back, huh?" She asks "Yeah, but he accused them of trying to take Yvonne and the baby. I already knew that Yvonne was worried about a c-section, remember the Baby Shower." I say as she nods "Yeah. But why would he accuse doctors of taking Yvonne and the baby?" She asks. I shake my head and pull out my phone. "What?" Lucy asks "I'm gonna call. Dr. Opal had said something that might help." I reply. I put the phone on speaker.