𝟢𝟧𝟫. 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗌𝖾𝗇𝗍𝖾𝗇𝖼𝗂𝗇𝗀

𝐒𝐎𝐅𝐓𝐂𝐎𝐑𝐄 ━━━━ 𝖢𝖧𝖠𝖯𝖳𝖤𝖱 𝖥𝖨𝖥𝖳𝖸-𝖭𝖨𝖭𝖤

𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐖𝐎 | 𝖤𝖯𝖨𝖲𝖮𝖣𝖤 𝖳𝖧𝖨𝖱𝖳𝖤𝖤𝖭𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗌𝖾𝗇𝗍𝖾𝗇𝖼𝗂𝗇𝗀 !

𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗌𝖾𝗇𝗍𝖾𝗇𝖼𝗂𝗇𝗀 !

ONE MONTH.

One month had passed since the Bakers lost their trial. One month had passed since both Bryce and Justin had been arrested at the courthouse. One month had passed since Maddie filed a police report. And one month since Maddie's world flipped upside down.

Maddie was sat in a close to empty court room with her parents on either side of her. It was Thursday, April 18, the day Bryce would hopefully get the punishment he so desperately deserved. Maddie had a gut feeling that wouldn't happen, though.

"It truly hurts me to think that my actions have caused anyone emotional distress. When I think of the pain that I may have caused, I— I just... Well, I feel awful. Everyday, I wish that I could go back in time."

Maddie feels sick listening to him lie. He wasn't sorry. He never would be.

"I was used to a certain culture of partying and hookups, and many of us never questioned it, but it is time to question it. And I know that I need to be the one to set an example. I'm— I'm trying every day to be a better man, to be the man that my parents raised me to be. And to be a positive influence at Liberty High. It is my sincerest hope that you will allow me to do so. Thank you, sir." Bryce picks up his piece of paper.

"Does the county accept the allocution?" the judge asked.

"We do, Your Honor." Maddie's lawyer stands up. "Prior to sentencing, the victim would like to exercise her right to make her own statement."

"Proceed."

Maddie looks at each of her parents, muttering 'I love you's to them before making her way to the podium. "Your Honor, thank you for this opportunity to address the court. If it's all right, for the first part of my statement, I would like to address the defendant directly."

"Go right ahead."

Maddie takes a deep breath and looks at her paper. She'd rehearsed it so many times in front of a mirror that she knew it by heart, by now. But standing up there, in front of all those people, despite it not being more than ten at most, Maddie was drawing a blank.

"We met originally in the seventh grade. You were so sweet to me and I remember being so grateful for that. I'd never been treated that kindly before. You welcomed me into your friend group effortlessly, and I remember thinking I had found my best friends. They were. You were. Until we reached high school and friendship no longer meant anything to the things that really mattered. Social hierarchy and sex."