Chapter 33

Alice's P.O.V

June 18, 1965

It was Paul's birthday. I had planned for us to spend the day together. Paul was still sleeping when I got up. I went into Ethel's room and found her waiting for me.

"Morning, little darling" I said. I picked her up and brought her downstairs into the kitchen. I put her in her chair and prepared her bottle.

"You know it's daddy's birthday today" I said. I finished with Ethel's bottle and put it in front of her. She grabbed the bottle and started to drink from it. I began to prepare breakfast. I was taken by surprise when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist.

"Paul, you scared me!" I said

"I'm sorry, love" Paul said, placing a kiss on my cheek. I smiled.

"It's alright. Happy birthday" I said

"Thanks love" Paul said, giving me another kiss on my cheek.

"I have a perfect day planned for us" I said

"Spending a day with you is the best way to spend my birthday" Paul said. The phone then started to ring.

"You go answer it. I'll finish with breakfast" Paul said. He gave me a kiss before I went into the living room. I picked up the phone.

"He-" I was cut off

"Alice! I'm panicking right now!" Joseph said

"Joseph, what's going on?" I asked

"It's Linda" Joseph said

"Is she okay?" I asked

"I don't know! She told me her water broke and she's screaming" Joseph explained

"Joseph! She's going to give birth! Get her to the hospital" I said

"I know. I just called you to let you know" Joseph said

"JOSEPH! PLEASE TAKE ME TO THE HOSPITAL! ALEX COULD POP OUT AT ANY MOMENT!" I heard Linda in the background

"I'm coming Linda! Please meet us there" Joseph asked

"Paul and I will be there right away" I said. I quickly hung up the phone and popped my head into the kitchen.

"What's going on, love?" Paul asked

"It's Linda. She's about to give birth and she needs us at the hospital" I said

~

Paul and I hurried to get ready. Paul tried to get us to the hospital fast but he was careful about doing it. When we got to the hospital, I grabbed Ethel from the back and rushed inside. I found Joseph sitting, nervously biting at his nails. Heather was sitting on his lap. Paul came inside not shortly after.

"Love, you can be really fast when you want to" Paul said

"Sorry" I said. Paul and I walked over to Joseph. He looked up at us and stopped biting at his nails.

"Thank god you two are here!" Joseph said

"Where's Linda?" I asked

"They just took her into the room. Please go to Linda. She needs you right now" Joseph said

"Okay. You two are okay to watch Ethel?" I asked. Joseph and Paul nodded. I gave Ethel to Paul and he took a seat beside Joseph. I walked up to the reception desk.

"Can I help you?" the lady asked me

"I'm Alice Anderson. There's a woman named Linda Anderson that just checked in" I said

"Oh, you're Linda's sister-in-law!" the lady said. I stared at her in confusion but just went along with it. Joseph must have told her I was his sister.

"Yes, that's me" I said

"I'll take you to Linda. She's been requesting for you" the lady said. I followed her to Linda's room.

~

When I got to Linda's room, I found her breathing and groaning in pain.

"Linda" I said.

"Thank god you're here! I need you to hold my hand!" Linda said. I nodded and walked up to Linda. I grabbed her hand and she started to squeeze it. I didn't mind that much.

"Heather didn't make me feel this much pain! Alex feels like he's going to pop out!" Linda said

"You'll be okay Linda. Just feel happy you're about to have another child" I said. The doctor then came in, ready to deliver Alex. For the next hour, it consisted of Linda screaming and squeezing my hand so hard, I thought she was going to crush my bones. Pretty soon, it was all over and Alex was finally born.

"Mrs. Anderson, say hello to your baby boy" the doctor said. He gave Alex to Linda. She smiled as she cradled him in her arms.

"Alice, he's beautiful" Linda said

"He kind of looks like his father" I said

"Can you go get Joseph? It's time for him to meet his son" Linda said. I nodded and went to go get Joseph. When I came into the waiting room, Joseph looked at me.

"Joseph, Linda wants you to meet your son" I said. Joseph smiled.

"Heather, let's go meet your brother" Joseph said. Heather nodded. They both got up. Joseph grabbed Heather's hand and they started walking to Linda's room.

"Was Linda alright?" Paul asked

"Yes. She has a tight grip though. She almost crushed the bones in my hand" I said. I took Ethel from Paul.

"Let's go see your new brother" I said. Paul got up and grabbed my free hand. We made our way to Linda's room.

~

When we got in there, we found Linda sitting up in her bed. She was smiling at Joseph who was holding his newborn son. I cleared my throat. Linda and Joseph looked up at me.

"Sorry to interrupt this moment but Ethel wants to meet her brother" I said. I walked up to Joseph and kneeled in front of him so Ethel could get a good look at her new brother.

"This your brother Ethel. Well, half-brother" I said. Ethel looked at Alex for a moment and then smiled.

"He looks like me, don't you think?" Joseph asked

"He sure does" I said. I stood back up and walked back over to Paul.

"Will you two be okay if we leave?" I asked

"We'll be fine" Joseph said. Paul and I were about to leave.

"I have a favor to ask you two before you go" Linda said

"What is it?" I asked

"Would you two like to be Alex's godparents?" Linda asked. Paul and I looked at each other and smiled.

"We'd love to" Paul said

~

Before we went home, Paul and I dropped Ethel off with Laura. We still had the rest of the day to spend together and we wanted to make it special. As soon as we got in the door, I pressed my lips to Paul's. Our kiss turned passionate as his arms wrapped around my waist and mine wrapped around his neck. I pulled away and looked at him for a moment.

"How about we try for another child?" I asked

"I'm happy you're not giving up" Paul said

"If it takes a week or even four years, we're going to have a child together" I said

"That's my girl" Paul said. He pressed his lips on mine again.