Chapter 14

The next day around 2.15pm, Sophie was in full focus in Herbology class. Professor Garlick proceeded to place a potting plant on each of the students potting stations, she said with a skip in her step, "Now to finish todays lesson we will be re-visiting the mellifluous tuba known as the mandrake root". As she placed the pot infront of Sophie, Sebastian leaned over from his stool beside her and whispered, "I hope you're ready for this" Sophie looked down at the pot and frowned, there was nothing unusual about it other than the leaves looking rather sharp. With a confused tone she replied, "It's just a plant" Sebastian laughed and nudged Samanthas arm, "Pff. Just a plant she says". Professor Garlick went and stood on the podium at the front of the class, she called out, "Before we start let's protect our ears" Sophie still looking confused watched Sebastian grab some cotton wool buds from under his station and place them in his ears, judging by the expression on his face something awful was about to happen, she quickly did the same. "Now everyone, firmly grip your mandrake by its tendrils and give it a firm tug" the students reluctantly took hold of their mandrakes, as they each pulled them from their pots a hoard of piercing cries filled the greenhouse cracking the glass roof above them. Sophie was horrified at the revelation of what she had just unearthed, as she held the stinky, wrinkly mandrake high in the air she looked over at Sebastian in horror, seeing him also struggling to cope with the screams she shouted, "Now what do we do!?" he shouted back, "Shove the little bastard in the other pot!" she quickly placed the mandrake in the new pot and buried it under the soil. Professor Garlick swung her wand up into the air and shouted, "Repairo!" as the glass roof instantly mended itself Sophie shot a look at Sebastian who was busy losing himself in a fit of laughter at her expense, she gently hit him on his arm, "You could have warned me!" he cheekily laughed, "I did try! Horrible fuckers aren't they. Fascinating but equally unpleasant". Garlick called out, "Now our fibrous friends are a little more comfortable we will end the lesson here. Good work everyone. And remember, I expect you all to have written those five pieces of parchment on the uses of chomping cabbages for our next class".

The students groaned and began making their way out of the greenhouse, Sophie approached Professor Garlick and said, "Excuse me Professor, we were never taught Herbology in Beauxbatons. I've never actually heard of any of these plants before. Can you tell me what a chomping cabbage is?" Garlick rested her hand on her arm and sighed, "That is dreadful news. Firstly, well done with your mandrake, they can be hard to get a grasp of", "I'll say. I nearly went deaf", "Yes they can be an aquired taste for the ears. Personally I find their cries rather soothing" Sophie stood with a blank look on her face. Is she serious? "I tell you what, Leander Prewitt is a keen Herbologist..." she called out, "Mr Prewitt!", Leander came over to join them, "Yes Professor?", "Our new rose needs a little help adjusting to life in our garden. If you would, could you show her to the other greenhouse and let her get acquainted with the chomping cabbages" Leander answered with a smirk, "Yes of course. Up these stairs will take us there" Sophie exchanged a smile with Garlick and said, "Thank you Professor" she replied, "You will need to take a few samples in order to complete the homework I have set for you before our next lesson. Mr Prewitt will assist you" Sophie nodded and proceeded to follow Leander up the stairs into the other greenhouse. As they entered Sophie noticed a row of cabbages all lined up in a troff of soil, she asked, "Is this them?" Leander completely ignoring her question ran his fingers through his greasy copper hair and cleared his throat, "We erm, haven't had a chance to properly introduce ourselves. Nice to meet you, I'm Leander". Sophie could see the flirtatious gleam in his eyes but having attended a couple of classes with him already she was well aware of his unwanted need to flirt with every girl, she politely smiled, he said, "Nice work in defence against the dark arts by the way", "Excuse me?", "Your duel with Sebastian! And he's good, ha! Thinks he's really good but you outright slaughtered him. It was brilliant", "Oh. Well thankyou", "I nearly put Sebastian in his place myself I mean, I would of, if Hecat hadn't stopped me" Sophie couldn't help but laugh, "Didn't she stop that dragon skull from crushing you?", Leander remaining strong in his efforts to swoon 'the new girl' arrogantly answered, "Pfff, typical Slytherin trick dropping a dragon skull on someone during a fight...". Sophie peered her eyes over to the entrance of the greenhouse. She felt a rush of profound relief and exhilaration fill her body as Jackson made his way down the stairs towards them. Thank Merlin. Leander continuing with his ranting said, "...we Gryffindors fight with honour. And err, Ravenclaws too, atleast you did". Jackson took his place beside Sophie. Having heard many stories from his brother about Leanders unpleasant and persistent approach when it came to flirting, he was more than irritated by the sight of him talking to her. Leander took one look at Jackson and could instantly feel the detest he had for him burning through his deathly stare. Knowing the Sallow brothers were not ones to be messed with, he looked back at Sophie and said, "I'll er, I'll see you back in class".