Chapter 13

A few days after their search for the missing pages Sophie and Jackson had no choice but to patiently wait for Professor Fig to return from his trip to London. For the first time since arriving at Hogwarts Sophie was able to attend her classes and enjoy some normality as a student however, the scepticism about her sudden arrival was still the talk of the school. As she made her way to the Great Hall she could feel the eyes of the students she passed burning through her, her usual confidence and care free attitude slowly dimming with every whisper. A fellow fifth year and sprightly Hufflepuff named Poppy Sweeting could see the distress in Sophie's demeanour and quickly caught upto her. She grabbed onto her arm and gleefully said, "Finally, we get to eat. I'm starving! I thought Professor Sharp was never going to let us leave" Poppys calming aura was something to be cherished and Sophie appreciated her wanting to give her some friendly comfort, she smiled, "Me too! Does he always talk that much?" Poppy replied, "Unfortunately yes. He's rather passionate about the art of crafting potions....I hope they have cake. I'm really in the mood for some cake" endeared by Poppys blithely response Sophie giggled, "Mmm, cake does sound perfect right now".

Jackson was already in the Great Hall having lunch with a group of his friends. As he went to reach for his second helping of sausage and mashed potatoes his friend James snarked, "Hungry are we?" he slammed a spoonful of potatoes on his plate, "I am yes. I've had Quidditch practice all morning" James, knowing Jacksons usual nonchalant personality all to well replied, "You only eat like this when your anxious about something. What is it?". Jackson hasn't told his friends about his new found ability or his involvement in the ever growing goblin rebellion taking place outside of Hogwarts and he definitely wasn't about to tell them in a hall full of students. He started piling mountains of mashed potatoes into his mouth, he shrugged his shoulders, his friend Leo asked, "It's that new girl isn't it?" James added, "Yeh what's going on between you two? Do you know her or something?" Jackson swigged his drink and buried his head back into his plate of food, "Something like that". Sophie and Poppy entered the Great Hall and went to join Imelda sat on one of the tables. Leo noticed them walking past, he nudged his elbow into Jacksons arm, "Oh well would you look at that, there she is now" Jackson with a mouth full of food peered his eyes up, he looked over and saw the two girls taking their seat at the other end of the hall, James brazenly said, "She's kind of cute". Jackson swallowed his food and pushed his plate to one side, he wiped his mouth and scowled at James, "Cute? She's fucking unbelievable. And she's also mine" James chuckled, "Ahh! I knew it!" Leo snarked, "Oh come on, she's only been here a couple of weeks!" Jackson got up from his seat, he grabbed Leo by the shoulders and with a smirk and a slight tone of assertiveness said, "Avert your eyes elsewhere fellas, this one's taken". The boys awkwardly laughed as he left the table, he tried to hide it behind his playful manner but they could tell, he was being serious. He went over to approach the girls, hearing them busy chatting away he gracefully cleared his throat and said, "Hello ladies. How are we?" Sophie looked up at him and with a smile replied, "Oh hello there. We're good thank you. And you?" he answered, "Yes, all good. Sophie I was wondering if you wanted to do something after class today?" she glanced back at the girls, "Well actually, Poppy was just saying she has something she wants to show me after beast class" Poppy beaming with excitement said, "I do! I have someone rather special I want to introduce her too. You're more than welcome to join us if you like. It won't take long" Sophie looked up at him once again, her eyes glistening with hope that he would accept Poppys invitation. Their eyes locked for just a second, he smiled and reluctantly looked back at Poppy, "Someone special? Okay, you've intrigued me. I guess I shall see you then" Sophie softly answered, "Okay" as he walked away her eyes remained fixated on him, Imelda snapped her fingers, "Hey! I saw that! A word of advice, DON'T fall in love with a Sallow. Trust me, they're more trouble than they're worth" Poppy groaned, "Oh Imelda. Jackson's nothing like Sebastian. Besides you two dated so long ago. He's much more mature now" Sophie scoffed, "Wait. You and Sebastian dated?" Imelda rolled her eyes, "Yes for almost all of fourth year but ever since his sister got sick he's...changed" Poppy sighed, "I do miss Anne. She was so much fun to be around. Always causing some sort of chaos in class. You two would have gotten on well" Sophie replied, "Oh yes they did mention her to me but I haven't had the heart to ask either of them about what happened" Imelda answered, "They wouldn't tell you even you did. They're a complicated family those Sallows...like I said, they're more trouble than they're worth" Sophie looked at Poppy with dismay, Poppy discreetly shook her head in hopes that Sophie would ignore Imeldas hardened interior. Dismissing her unnecessary advice Sophie answered, "Well I guess I'll have to find that out for myself now won't I. Poppy should we head over to class? I'm eager to see what you have waiting for me" Poppy giggled, "Yes let's go, Professor Howin hates anyone being late".