Chapter 5

Vanya’s aunt brings her home after finding her in distress. Even after arriving home, Vanya can’t stop crying. Her aunt holds her close, trying to comfort her.

Aunt: Vanya, my dear, why are you crying? Please, tell me what happened.
Vanya (crying): Bua, I’m a horrible person... a terrible person.
Aunt: No, sweetheart, who told you that? You’re such a sweet girl. Please, tell me what happened.
Vanya: Bua, I must be awful because Waheguru ji always punishes me...
Aunt: What happened, dear? Why would Waheguru ji punish you? What did you do?
Vanya: No, Bua, I’m bad, and that’s why everyone I love is taken away from me by Waheguru ji...
Aunt: Who was taken from you, and what are you talking about?

Vanya: First, Waheguru ji took away my mom and dad, and now... now they’ve taken Sahil from me too. Sahil doesn’t love me, Bua. My first love is left incomplete, my first love is incomplete...

As Vanya says this, she faints. Her aunt panics and immediately calls the doctor.

The doctor arrives and examines Vanya while her aunt anxiously waits.

Aunt: Doctor, what happened to Vanya? Is she okay?
Doctor: She has a high fever, and she fainted because of it. I’ve given her an injection, but she needs plenty of rest. Don’t let her leave the house for a few days. Here are some medications; make sure she takes them on time.

The doctor leaves, and Vanya’s aunt sits by her bedside, gently stroking her hair.

Aunt (whispering): You’re not a bad person, Vanya; it’s just a bad time. None of this is your fault; it’s the fault of circumstances. If your parents hadn’t died in that car accident, you would be happy today. But this is destiny... Waheguru ji, please don’t be so harsh with Vanya...

Her aunt starts crying, tucks Vanya in, and quietly leaves the room.

Meanwhile, Sahil, filled with anger, comes home, shuts himself in his room, and goes to bed without talking to anyone. The next day, Vanya doesn’t come to school, and Aku waits for her, trying to call her, but she doesn’t answer. Aku spots Sahil approaching.

Aku: Hey, Sahil, where’s Vanya?
Sahil (with an annoyed expression): I don’t know.

He starts to walk away.

Aku: Wait, what do you mean you don’t know? You come to school with her every day. If you don’t know, who would?
Sahil: Aku, I’m not in the mood to talk about her, so please let me go.
Aku: But listen—

Sahil ignores her and walks away. Meanwhile, Vanya still hasn’t regained consciousness.

Vanya is still unconscious, unaware of the turmoil her rejection by Sahil has caused. Meanwhile, Sahil remains oblivious to the condition Vanya is in because of his refusal. Aku grows increasingly worried about Vanya’s absence.

Rachit approaches Aku.

Rachit: Hey baby, why do you look so lost? What’s wrong?
Aku: Vanya didn’t come to school today, and I’m really worried. She never skips without telling me. I’ve been trying to call her, but her phone is off. I don’t have her aunt’s number either...
Rachit: Baby, her aunt’s number should be in the school’s student ID register. You can ask the registrar and get it from there.
Aku: Thanks, baby! I love you. I’ll meet you later, okay?

Aku rushes to the registrar, gets Vanya’s aunt’s number, and calls her as soon as school ends.

Aunt (answering the phone): Hello?
Aku: Hello, aunty! How are you? I’m Vanya’s friend, Akriti.
Aunt: Oh, hello, dear. I’m fine. What’s the matter?
Aku: Aunty, I’m calling because Vanya didn’t come to school today, and her phone’s been off. Is she okay?
Aunt: Dear, she’s not well. I don’t know what happened to her, but last evening...

Vanya’s aunt tells Aku everything, leaving her in shock.

Aku: Aunty, don’t worry. I’m coming over right now. Please give me your address.

After getting the address, Aku realizes it’s the building right next to Sahil’s.

Aku (thinking): So, Vanya lives in the same society as Sahil... but Sahil didn’t know where she was?

Aku quickly arrives at Vanya’s home. Entering Vanya’s room, she sees her friend awake but weak.

Aku: Thank God you’re awake... so much happened, and you didn’t even tell me.
Vanya looks at Aku and starts crying loudly, hugging her tightly.

Vanya: Aku, I’m a horrible person...
Aku (trying to comfort her): Shh, baby, calm down. Your aunt told me everything... just try to relax, okay?

Vanya (sobbing): What did I do wrong, Aku? Was it wrong to love someone who loves someone else?
Aku (shocked): What?! Sahil loves someone else? Who?
Vanya: He didn’t tell me who, just that he doesn’t love me but loves someone else...
Aku: But how is that possible? And what else did he say? Tell me everything.

Vanya, still crying, explains.

Vanya: I only loved him, but he even said terrible things about my parents, who aren’t even alive anymore...
Aku: No, baby, he probably didn’t know. He must have said it in anger. Sahik isn’t like that—you’re misunderstanding him. I’ll talk to him, and he’ll apologize to you.

Vanya: I don’t care about his apology, Aku. I will never forgive him. He rejected my love—that’s fine—but he insulted my parents. I can’t forgive that. I may lose in love, but I won’t let my parents’ memory be disrespected. Never.

Aku: Vanya, please calm down. Your health will get worse if you keep this up. You need to rest. I’ll handle your leave from school, and I’ll talk to Sahil.

Vanya: No, you won’t say anything to him. Don’t even tell him that I live in the building next to his. Promise me, Aku!

Aku: Okay, I promise. I won’t tell him. Now, you rest. I’ll come back to see you tomorrow.

Aku leaves Vanya’s house, but her mind is still troubled, wondering who Sahil is in love with. She calls Rachit and asks him to meet her at the coffee shop near the school.

Meanwhile, Sahil sits alone in his room, staring at the broken keychain in his hand.

Sahil: Where are you? I haven’t heard your voice today. Why can’t I find you? I love you so much... Please, just let me find you...

Sahil lies down on his bed, his head bowed in sorrow.

After Aku leaves, Vanya starts crying even more, consumed by her love for Sahil. Through her tears, she begins to sing softly.

Vanya (singing):
"Yaara, waqt bhi thehraa hai...
Kaise, kyun yeh hua...
Kash tu aise aaye,
Jaise koi dua...
Tu rooh ki rahat hai...
Tu meri amanat hai...
Sun raha hai na tu... ro rahi hoon main...

Just then, Sahil hears a voice. He steps out onto his balcony, but no one is there. He realizes the voice is coming from the balcony of the room next to his. Crossing over to Vanya’s balcony, he tries to look inside through the glass door, but it’s locked. He can’t see anything clearly, but he feels something in the air...