Chapter 6

Sahil is catching up with his friends, while Vanya is engrossed in conversation with Janvi. As Sahil glances toward them, a soft smile appears on his face, seeing them so absorbed in their chat. Slowly, Sahil starts walking towards them, but then he notices a guy talking to Vanya. His smile fades as he wonders who it could be.

It's Abhay.

Aku and Rachit are nearby, watching the scene unfold with curiosity.

Abhay: "Hey, Vanya! How have you been? It's been ages! You just vanished—no calls, no updates. And now, suddenly, you’re here! Oh, and how’s Sahil? I really miss seeing you two together... Your relationship was unforgettable."

Vanya looks a bit uncomfortable but starts to respond.

Vanya: "Well, actually, Abhay—"

Before she can explain, Sahil walks up to them, interrupting the moment. He greets Abhay with a smile that doesn’t quite reach his eyes.

Sahil: "Hey, Abhay! Long time, huh? I saw you talking to Vanya about me…"

Abhay: "Yes, Sahil! How have you been, man? I was just catching up with Vanya and asking about you."

Sahil gives a sharp response, his eyes shifting briefly to Vanya.

Sahil: "She can tell you more about me than I can... After all, she knows me inside out."

His words, although casual on the surface, carry a bitter undertone. Vanya feels the sting but chooses to stay silent.

Vanya: "You two continue your chat. I have something to do."

With that, Vanya walks away, leaving the tension between Sahil and Abhay lingering in the air.

Aku notices the brief exchange and the way Sahil’s words hurt Vanya. She decides to lift Vanya’s mood and rushes after her.

Aku: "Vanya, come with me to my room. I still haven’t picked out my jewelry for the engagement tomorrow! You know how clueless I am with these things. I could really use your help."

Vanya gives a faint smile, trying to shake off the discomfort.

Vanya: "Okay, let’s go. But wait, where’s Mamta? Let’s bring her along too."

Aku: "Oh, she’s with Rachit. I’ll go get her."

Aku, Vanya, and Mamta head to Aku’s room to help finalize her jewelry for the engagement. After spending some time together, they finish up and join everyone for dinner. With the night approaching and the engagement set for the next day, everyone begins to wind down. Vanya and Mamta head to their room to rest. While Mamta quickly falls asleep, Vanya is restless, tossing and turning as unsettling dreams plague her sleep. She jolts awake, gasping for air.

Vanya sits up, her forehead glistening with sweat. She grabs a glass of water, hoping to calm herself down, then quietly steps out of the room, not wanting to disturb Mamta.

The cool night air greets her as she walks into the corridor and stands on the balcony. She gazes up at the moon, deep in thought.

Vanya: "Why do these nightmares still haunt me? It’s been three years since that awful incident, yet I can’t seem to escape it. I haven’t had a peaceful night’s sleep since then. But why… why is it that I still feel safe whenever I’m with Sahil? Even after everything that happened, why do I keep getting drawn back to him? Why does fate keep pushing me toward him, no matter how hard I try to move on?"

Vanya sits down on a nearby chair, her thoughts weighing heavily on her. Exhaustion soon overtakes her, and she falls asleep in the cool night breeze.

An hour later, Sahil steps out of his room, unable to sleep. He’s surprised to find Vanya fast asleep on the balcony, curled up in the chair. Concern flashes across his face as he watches her, noticing that the cool air is making her shiver. Without thinking twice, he walks over and gently lifts her into his arms.