Chapter 28

Sahil turns away from Vanya, his emotions swirling as he stands silently in the rain. The downpour drenches them both, yet neither makes any effort to move.

Vanya (provoking him): "Tell me, Sahil. Why are you silent? What did they do that made you hate them so much?"

Sahil (spinning around and yelling): "Because they took my mother away from me! My real mom! After she died, my father married someone else... and not just anyone, but my real aunt! The one my mom loved the most, her younger sister! The one she would have done anything for... After my mom passed, she married my dad. Now tell me, who's wrong here?"

Vanya: "Sahil, you don’t know the whole truth..."

Sahik: "Vanya, you’ve only known them for 17 days. I've known them for 17 years! I saw everything with my own eyes. I know what happened."

Vanya: "Oh, so you believe what you see with your eyes? Fine, come with me."

Vanya grabs Sahil’s hand and leads him away without waiting for his consent.

Sahil: "Vanya, where are you taking me?"

Vanya: "Just follow me."

She brings Sahil to a nearby slum, a place he rarely visited before. There, they find a little boy, about eight years old, dancing and playing in the rain, with his mother chasing after him. The mother finally catches him and leads him back into their small, rundown home.

Vanya, still holding Sahil’s hand, pulls him toward the gate of the house, urging him to watch.

Inside, the mother sits the little boy down and dries him off with a cloth. Once he’s no longer soaked, she feeds him with her hands, making sure he’s comfortable and warm. Sahil watches the scene unfold.

Vanya: "Look at that boy, Sahil. He was soaked to the bone, and now his mother is caring for him, feeding him. What do you see here? Should that boy hate his mother?"

Sahil: "No, she’s caring for him because she gave birth to him. She’s his real mother."

Vanya: "No, Sahil. She’s not his real mother."

Sahil looks at Vanya, shocked.

Vanya: "Yes, Sahil, she’s not his biological mother. That boy was abandoned by his real mom on the streets because she couldn’t take care of him. This woman gave him the love of a mother, and look how happy he is, completely unaware that the woman he loves isn’t his real mom."

Aahil stands in stunned silence, absorbing Vanya’s words.

Vanya: "What’s the matter, Sahil? No answer? Are you speechless?"

Sahik: "But my dad... he’s responsible for my mom’s death. You can’t deny that."

Vanya: "Why do you think that?"

Sahil: "Because he never gave her time. Work was always more important to him than we were. It’s his fault she died."

Vanya: "No, Sahil, he always wanted to, but..."

Sahik: "But what, Vanya? You have no answer because there is no answer!"

Vanya: "Your real mom had cancer, Sahil."

Sahil: "What??"

Vanya: "Yes, Sahil. Your real mom had terminal cancer. Your dad loved her deeply, and still does. He focused on work because he knew her treatment would be expensive. At that time, their financial situation wasn’t stable, but he worked day and night, earning extra money. He tried everything to save her, but by the time they could start her treatment, it was too late. The cancer had reached its final stage. He did everything he could, but he couldn’t save her. He worked so hard so that you would never face such hardships."