Phase 4 - The Next Commander (Chapter 15)

I turn down off the main road into an alleyway before kicking a barrel out of the way of a hole in the wall.

"Whats this?" Marco asks.

"A secret passageway. One the scouts made years ago in case they were ever in danger in the city. It's a secret tunnel system." I say turning to go down the ladder into the tunnel. "If you don't know how to navigate it then you could be lost in here for days."

Marco glances to me crouched over the ladder. "Do you?"

I chuckle as we slide down the ladder, turning and walking down a hallway. "There are specific marks at each split in the path along either side. Here the first split, the left side has a circle with three lines going horizontally, the right has a circle with an x crossing it. Which path would you take?"

"The One with the lines?" Marco responds unsure.

"That's exactly why a scout who knows of this place knows to go down the x." I say turning and walking down the path.

Marco hums following me. "So trust your scout instincts not your normal instincts..."

I huff. "Your Scout instincts should be your normal ones. Trust me by combining them together, you become far more aware of traps."

"That makes sense I guess."

"Besides, the info broker I've been in contact with is actually a bit of a surprise to everyone." I say as we approach a well lit room filled with bookshelves and information.

"Who is it." Marco asks.

A young boy stands before us, himself maybe a few years older than myself. This young boy, or rather man now, is named Dirk Reiss. The son of Lord Reiss and half brother of Historia. "Nice seeing you again Marcel."

I bow and shake his hand addressing him. "Good to see you as well, Mr. Reiss."

Marco's eyes widen and he turns to me horrified. "Wait, are we gonna sell out our friends?"

"No, in fact it's the exact opposite." I say.

"Who's he?" Dirk asks as he and I walk over to a table in the middle of the room.

"Forgive me, Sir, But Marco here is my assistant. He joined with me in 104th Cadets."

Dirk nods. "I see. Well, what is it you want to know? Surely you didn't come to find me, if it didn't have to do something with information."

"We need to know who's coming after the scouts with Eren and Historia."

Dirk smiles. "Ah That chestnut... all you need to know is one name. " he raises a hand. He pauses for a moment taking in a single deep breath before revealing the answer to us. "Kenny the Ripper."