Phase 2 - Shock & Awe (Chapter 18)

Shock & Awe Chapter 18: Know Your Enemy - AJ's Fight

AJ stands on solid ground looking out to Osaka; he wanders the city by himself as he spots people laying on the ground, blood dried on the floor, buildings crumbled; he wanders the debris field kicking bodies over to cover their faces so he doesn't see their horrified expressions.

"This was avoidable..." [B.B.: AJ.]

AJ doesn't respond as he grabs a teddy bear and places it next to the body of a small child laying cuddled in her parents arms he closes his eyes before moving on.

[B.B.: AJ?] "Yeah?" [B.B.: What are you gonna do now?] "Keep fighting. It's all I can do. I don't know anything else... besides, this will only happen on a larger scale until it stops." [B.B.: Do you even want to fight?] "At this point... its not about what I want really... I thought you would've figured it out by now." [B.B.: What?] "I was never fighting for myself after I left REVOCS." [B.B.: You mean?] "Yes, I do." [B.B.: That's a...] "It's a selfish wish. Nothing more, nothing less."

He looks into the distance in silence when he hears footsteps approach from behind.

"If you're going to scold me don't bother, I don't care."

"Do my steps sound like that of a man's?" Ryuko says standing above him on a pile of rubble.

"I guess not. So, why'd ya follow me out here?"

"You've been out here for hours, I came to check on you."

AJ sighs. "Thomas try to stop you?"

"Yeah, he stopped Tomoko."

"I expected as much. I'm just... thinking."

"I could tell."

"Funny."

Ryuko grins sitting down. "I know, I'm hilarious."

"Heh. I'm just curious when the time does come to fight, will you or won't you."

"You're damn right I will."

"Okay, that's all I needed to hear."

"Huh?" She deadpans.

"I told you, 'we'll follow you and we'll fight with you.' If you fight we fight."

Ryuko grins.

Tease End.