02.2

Jake is a prodigy and a genius; Jungwon prides himself for having him as a close friend. Additionally, Jake is a wonderful person; kind, efficient and very helpful, Jungwon picks up his notes when he is stuck somewhere, and they are always very well organized and written in perfect, brilliant handwriting. Among Sim Jaeyun's only flaws, is his incapacity to choose his friends correctly. Of course, Jungwon has not a saying in this, yet it becomes his business the day Jake decides to get him involved, i.e. try to introduce these friends Jungwon does not approve of to him.

"- Hey, Jungwonie. Do you know Park Jay?"

Jungwon is focusing on his mathematics homework, during one of his regular study sessions with Jake at the local library. The last issue Jungwon wishes to discuss is Park Jay. It was not even like Jaeyun to show disturbance when they are studying or revising; the two know the rules very well.

Nevertheless, Jungwon hinders his annoyance and uses the indifference card; he answers in a simple way, like he would answer for any student.

"- I do know Park Jay, and you do know very well that I know every single student of this high school because I have each one's profile archived in my register. You still ask each time, and it is becoming unfunny."

"- Sorry, sorry, you know I don't mean it like that. It's just my way of starting the conversation." Jake laughs quietly.

"- A conversation that is already giving me a persistent migraine." He sighs eventually, not giving Jake the satisfaction of a single glance.

"- Why? What do you know about Park Jay?"

Jungwon does not put down his pen, stop resolving the equation, nor does he raise his head, as he answers flatly but honestly what he knows of Park Jay, what he thinks of him and how he pictures him. Simply, Park Jay through his eyes and from his point of view.

"- An idiot, a wonderfully moronic figure. His pathetic performance in academic fields is proof enough of his truly scatterbrained and exclusively wit nature. Also, ill-mannered and rather venturesome by the way he never wears his tie correctly even though we went through it together once. Once is enough. Bold and poorly disciplined if he thinks openly displaying any form of affection towards my person will make me find him any attractive. The best would be not involving myself with him at all, or more realistically, dealing with him in urgent situations or when my post as the President of the Students Council calls for it."

"- ... Jay isn't that bad..."

Calmly, Jungwon puts down his pen in a perfect, vertical line next to his textbook, after writing the result, unknown X is not unknown anymore. He looks up at Jake, shaking his head in one brief but brisk motion to push his fringe away from his eyes, and intertwines his fingers together, elbows on the table.

"- Yes? What is it? Why the questionnaire about Park Jay?"

"- Just curious." Jake smiles. From the speed in which he answered the question, Jungwon assumes that Jake had been prepared to it.

"- Did he send you to me?"

"- Yeah, he kinda did."

Jungwon frowns, not only because of the intriguing answer but also because of Jake's still unbothered mien. He wanted to try to be unexpected to him, yet it seems that Jaeyun was truly anticipating the right questions from Jungwon.

"- He said he wants a rendez-vous with you, to discuss something important."

"- I see." Jungwon nods. A student in need of help, asking for assistance from the President of the Students Council, and nothing more; Jungwon should not have overthought it.

Jungwon scoffs softly. It was absurd of him to think that Park Jay wanted something bold to do with him.

"- When?"

"- Tomorrow after club activities, is it fine?" Jake informs.

"- Of course." Jungwon smiles softly. He liked helping out students in need, it made him feel successful as the president. "- Do you happen to know what his problem is?"

Frankly, Jungwon is not aiming to know more about Park Jay's trouble, but rather attempting to break Jake's upsetting composure. He, with no doubt, is hiding some primordial detail from him.

"- Not at all." Jake shrugs with a little, oblivious smile.

It seems that Jake had caught on his attempt.

"- Nevermind, I will go myself and see."