Chapter 12

After that conversation with my parents, Papa needed to talk to his therapist. He needed to have that space. I don't want to hear anything until he's ready to tell me. It's gotta be something big if he's that shaken up about it. Amy finds me again as I'm walking down the hallway.

"Hey, do you know what's got Papa so upset? I walked past and saw him teary eyed." She asks me.

"I'm not sure. He has to tell me something, I don't know, it has to do with this guy Darius. He's Liam's nephew I think. I tried looking into Liam's family but Darius's file was locked. I also realized Liam's is too. Something really bad definitely happened surrounding our birth or something. It made him start shaking when I asked."

"That's really weird. I hope he'll be alright." Amy nods.

"Well, anyway, did you need something else from me?"

"Well Uncle Rowan wanted to see you. He told me to come find you."

"Hm? Did he say what he wanted?" I question, wondering what the random summoning was for.

"He wasn't specific. He's in the garage working on his car again."

"Again? Something must be wrong if he's working on that old thing. I'll go check on him." I sigh, going towards the stairs and down to our rather large car garage. It's nearly as big as our house. I can see uncle Rowan working on his rusty old car that he began to rebuild from nothing since I was 7. He's been working on it and waiting on parts forever. Plus he had to raise some pups along the way. He and uncle Joey have been pretty busy. "Hey, you wanted to see me?" He turned back to look at me.

"Hey kiddo. Yes, I did. I heard about Elia...how she's engaged to Liam's daughter." He grabs a cloth to wipe off his hands.

"Yeah, how did you hear?"

"Let's just say a little birdie told me. Let me tell you something about those Browars. They're not to be trifled with. Liam specifically. Grace is his daughter. Do you think she's gonna be any better than him?"

"Liam has his past of why he's locked up. He did something wrong, I don't know what, no one will tell me. His file is locked but I know I can't judge someone because of their past or because of their father's past." I'm a little shocked by his aggressiveness towards them and I know Liam better than most people. He doesn't seem as bad as he claims.

"I'll tell you what no one else will. Before he even came here and did what he did, he destroyed my family and plenty of other families. Who knows if Grace might even....never mind. The point is, he is a murderer, he...did things...to our mother- your grandmother in front of us before brutally dismembering her to scare me and your father into submission...then after your dad escaped, I discovered I was an omega and you know what Liam did to me? Things I can't even speak of. Grace will make your life a living hell if you take Elia from her. It's in her blood."

"Elia isn't property- I'm not you, your mother, or Papa! I won't be a victim to whatever crazy cycle has happened between our two families! I am not part of that past!" I begin to get frustrated that he's trying to force this idea onto me. I have my own mind to make up about them and I'll do it on my own time.

"Oh Lina...you don't even know how big of a part you are in every bit of it....I wish I could tell you." There's a sort of sadness in his voice over it.

"Why don't you just tell me, it seems you've got quite a lot to say, uncle." I cross my arms, pissed that he's really trying to push this narrative onto me.

"It's not my place. That job belongs to your parents. I'm just trying to warn you, before you make any irrational decisions and get yourself or the people you love killed." He looks away from me for a moment.

"This just made things worse, I hope you know." I huff in frustration. His eyes quickly return to me.

"Good! It should be very difficult for you to trust her. She is not on your side, Lina. She sides with the rogues. I know first hand what it's like to be one of them. She'll follow the leader to stay alive. I did the same at the cost of my own dignity until I realized what was right for me. You have to realize what's right for you."

"Thank you for your bountiful wisdom, uncle but I think I will make my own mind about them when I see fit." I say, a bit of sarcasm in my thanks.

"Fine, suit yourself. Just don't say I didn't warn you when she tries to kill you in your sleep."

"I doubt that will happen. I'm gonna go now. I gotta get ready for tonight."

"Be safe, Lina!" He calls after me. I ignore him as I storm off. Lies...secrets, a story I'm not allowed to hear until the time is right, what is going on and what does it all have to do with me?

I...have an inkling but I don't think I should say. I know you're thinking it too but it doesn't totally add up. There's too many inconsistencies.

I know...I don't even know where to start. I just need papa and dad to just tell me already so I can get over this feeling.

I hear that. Can we go for a run? I feel like we need to clear our head.

Honestly...yeah, let's go. I go to find a spot to leave my clothes before shifting into my wolf. I shake out my fur, before starting my run. Sharing the control with Gaia, I start to feel less pressure from everyone's words. I just want everyone to trust me and my judgement. I've been officially queen for almost a year, shouldn't they believe in me by now? I begin to think about Elia again. Would she really try to trap me tonight? If not then what are her intentions for meeting me tonight? She's still wary of me, fighting her feelings because it's what the goddess wants for us. I wish she would take the time to genuinely get to know me and fall for the person I am too. I want to show her what I have to offer. Hell, I rule our world and she could rule it beside me...my queen. I shake that thought off. She doesn't trust me. She doesn't want to think of me because it's inconvenient for her, it ruined her plans to be married to Grace. I don't wish to be a home-wrecker but this is what the goddess intended. She guided us together for a reason. The queen marrying a diehard rogue would send shockwaves through the werewolf world. Instead of separating ourselves and having allied packs look down on rogues and vice versa, as the one in power, I should be looking to aid them and support them, maybe help them become allied packs, perhaps convince them that the modern way isn't so bad. Rogues live in poverty, they're nomads without borders. Rules and regulations don't apply in their minds which makes them seem like a threat but that's not always the case. Maybe if I can convince Elia of what I believe, she might hear me out. These thoughts make me feel more at ease as I continue on my run.