Chapter 3: Sheriff's tears

(Sprout's POV, this takes place the day after the previous chapter)

I wake up, actually excited for a new day! I got dressed, went by the café, and made my way to hitch's house to walk with him again today. I really did enjoy our sleepover, but I have a secret. And I need to tell him.

I approach his front door, ready and determined to start this new day with him.

Knock knock knock...

No answer

"Hitch? Are you home buddy? We gotta go back to the site today!"

Instead of a response I just get a text message from him saying "sorry, maybe tomorrow"
I start typing back a message determined to get him out of whatever he's going through.

(The following dialogue is a text conversation between hitch and sprout)

H: sorry, maybe tomorrow.

S: is everything okay?

H: I guess

S: can I come in?

H: why

S: I need to check on you

H: I'm still alive aren't I?

S: let me in.

H: whatever.

(End of text conversation)

Click...

As soon I he unlocked the door I swung it open and literally jumped on top of him.

"Hey sprout?"

"Yeah?"

"You're on top of me."

"OH MY GOD IM SO SORRY"

I rolled over and was now laying on the floor next to him, blushing. My face was buried in my hooves out of embarrassment.

Hitch gently moved my hooves out of my face.

"So what brings you to my house?"

"I was gonna come and walk with you to the cleanup site today but you seem a little down."

"A little?"

"Hitch, what's wrong?"

"It's nothing you need to worry about.."

He gave me a wink and a smile before going immediately back to his depressive state. He sighed.

"Look man, we've been friends for the longest time, I promise you can tell me anything."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Okay, well, there's this pony that I like.."

"Okaaay?"

"And I know they don't like me back."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I just don't think he would."

"You're gay!?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry.."

"Hitch..."

"Yes sprout?"

"I am too..."

Hitch blushed.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I'm gay too."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"How did you know?"

"Well, I just like guys. And I don't find women attractive. That's really it."

"Oh okay"

"Sooooo... who do you like?"

"I don't think I should tell you..."

"And why not?"

"Because you would tell them."

"Well you could at least practice asking them out."

"How?"

"Try asking me."

Hitch took a deep breath.

"Okay. Hey can we talk?"

"Sure, what's up?"

"I need do tell you something. We've know each other for a very long time, and I don't know how much longer I can go without telling you."

"What do you need to tell me?"

"I- sigh... I love you. I love you more than anything I've ever loved, or even care about. Every day I don't get to hold you I feel worse and worse and I just need to you to know how I feel."

"Hitch?"

"Yes?"

"I.. love you too...."

Hitch closed his eyes and leaned in...

He kissed me.

He actually kissed me.