🌍 - 𝕣𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕝𝕖𝕗𝕥 𝕞𝕖 | F!Ukraine x M!Canada | Angst

This is inspired by Taylor Swift's "right where you left me"(linked above.) If you know the song, you'll get an idea about the mood of this oneshot lol

Feel free to listen as you read :)

~~~

Everybody is mortal. Fate is a given fact, on tier with gravity itself. Especially true in the world of love and destruction and villages left to ghosts, where everybody has a curse. A curse you don't know the nature of until it inevitably causes your demise.

This is normal. The mystery is your allotted time. Nobody knows when or who will trigger the magic to overtake themselves or the one they love. Some are lucky enough to evade their curse for fifty years or a hundred. Some, just twenty-three...

━═━═━═━═━═━═━═━═━

The restaurant had windows for walls. Utter transparency lets you see inside, the child playing with a stranger's dog or a lady harassing a staff worker. The good and the bad, it's all out there. Vulnerability, leaving one as delicate a baby's silken skin.

Canada picked this restaurant for a reason.

Ukraine, who was holding Canada's arm, looked at him. "Do you want to sit by the window, dear?"

"Which window?" Canada replied. "The entire place is one."

Ukraine laughed. Tinkly, elegant laughter that was the embodiment of her. Possessing long, silky cerulean hair, the best sunflower of a body and beautiful emerald eyes, everybody wanted her. Except her boyfriend. He didn't know how to explain how he had run out of love for this perfection in lace and black jean shorts.

Sometimes these things just happen.

The soon-not-to-be-so-happy couple enjoyed lunch at a table for two covered with a white cloth. A small vase of dried flowers sat in the center, and the sun lit up the girl in love. A beam blocked the light from the boy, so he was left in the dark.

"...Ukraine." Canada said, swallowing his fear along with his last bite of lasagna. "I have to tell you something."

Ukraine, who had been wiping her face with her napkin, looked up at him, smiling. "What?"

Canada blinked, apologies flowing out of him in word vomit. "I'm so sorry, Ukraine, I swear it's not you. You're perfect. You can pick from anyone else. There's not one other soul in the world who won't love you, I just - just because I - you'll never be lonely, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I-"

"Canada?" Ukraine asked, alarmed. "What's going on?"

Canada took a deep breath. "I'm breaking up with you."

"...What?"

Ukraine's eyes were wide. Her mouth was open, only a little but it was still open. In disbelief, she didn't dare move.

"I don't know what happened to me." Canada continued apologizing. "I just- I don't love you anymore, I don't know why. I want to be honest with you. I don't want to feel like I have to stay in a relationship only you're invested in. I had to do this before things got worse. I'm sorry, Ukraine."

"..."

Canada picked his card out of the check and closed it, leaving it on the side of the table. "Goodbye."

Almost inaudible gasps escaped Ukraine's mouth. Canada... breaking up with her? How could this happen? Three years... gone, like that... She'd had it all planned out. They'd get married on their fourth or fifth anniversary, live on a farm on the countryside, growing old together in bliss... That's what was supposed to happen. Not this.