🎒🗣️ - i'm so obsessed with your ex | Part 3

Trigger warnings: Discussions around toxic masculinity and gender standards

~~~

For the rest of the school day, China made multiple attempts to talk to Russia, while North Korea did the same thing on America's side. Russia straight-up ignored China every time she tried to talk to him. America acted pretty friendly towards North, but he would always walk away or talk over North if he tried to bring up the feud between America and Russia.

China and North Korea were currently in North's house, and China had smushed herself into North's couch as if the house belonged to her. Despite the situation, North Korea smiled.

"I swear, this is so stupid." China groaned. "I mean, I can sorta understand why Russia ignored me, because we were arguing too a while back - but - that was a while ago - and why would America talk over you anyway?"

"If you ask me, they probably want to avoid the problem instead of solving it."

China pressed her lips together. "Why won't they just talk to each other?"

North Korea sat down next to her. "They have weird senses of pride. I told you it was going to be difficult."

China leaned on his shoulder. "I don't get it. Shouldn't pride take a backseat to communicating and understanding each other? Isn't it confusing? I have pride too, but... aren't they miserable? Not having any sense of clarity or closure?"

"We..." North Korea sighed. "I suppose that's less important to them than... appearing strong, I guess. You might not understand because- I don't mean to sound bitchy-"

"Noted." China laughed.

"Haha." He continued. "Um, well, uh... I'll just be plain about it. You're a girl, born, raised, and always seen as one. Society treats you guys badly as well - I'm not denying that - I'm just saying that your issues are different from mine, so..."

"...understood?"

"It's just- we're always told to be strong and tough and don't show any weaknesses, don't be vulnerable - well, not told per se, but, like, it's hidden in movies, slang, books, etcetera- we're not supposed to be weak. At all."

China furrowed her brows. She knew some of this already, but hadn't really been able to see how that factored into Russia and America's fight. Now, though, she was starting to feel like she knew what North was going to say next.

"They'd have to open up about their emotions and actually talk things through with each other if they want to solve their problems. That is a spectacularly vulnerable thing to do. Even admitting that they feel hurt to themselves seems like weakness. I bet neither of them have even done that yet." North Korea snorted half-heartedly, derision mixing with pity. China noted that his subconscious attempt at masking sympathy with condescension was probably an example of the psychology they were discussing right now.

"So they end up being really stubborn, pushing everyone away just to uphold an image of dignity and strength." He continued. "They don't know- that behavior won't let them get close to anyone, it'll make them lonely. They just think opening up 'degrades their masculinity.'"

North Korea's words ended in a dying croak, and he stared at the wall, looking at something far away.

There was silence for a while as China processed this. North didn't say anything for a while either, still lost in his own thoughts. China snuggled in closer to her boyfriend, soaking in his body heat and the smell of soft cologne. She wrapped an arm around his shoulders, thoughts divided between what North had just told her and how much she enjoyed being his girlfriend.