SEVENTY TWO

lenora

"So, like what would have happened if I was married when we met?"

Emery rolls her eyes at her sister's question and stabs a piece of broccoli with her fork. I chuckle under my breath, patting her thigh under the table.

Denver ignores us both. "I would have seduced you into a divorce and then convinced you to marry me," he replies with a shrug.

"You sound a little too confident about that," Bella says, chuckling.

It's been a week since Denver broke the secret to her. She handled it better than I think any of us expected. She wanted proof, naturally, and we were all a bit shocked that seeing Denver shift didn't freak her out.

She just absorbs everything we tell her like a sponge. But I see why she wanted to be a lawyer. She has a question for everything.

"That's because you're mine, baby," he says with a little growl, his hand moving to her thigh under the table. "I've waited for you too long to play games."

I try not to gag and instead look over at Emery, who flashes me a smug little smirk. I narrow my eyes at her. She licks her lips teasingly before focusing back on her plate.

"What if I had kids with someone already?" Bella challenges.

Denver leans his face closer to hers, peering into her eyes. "I would love them as my own."

She gives him a syrupy goo-goo look. Now I roll my eyes and scoff.

"I would've eaten them," I say, giving Emery a pointed look.

A look of horror crosses Bella's face as my mate snickers.

"What does it even matter, Bella?" Emery says. "You were hella single and are childless. You literally have zero strings."

"True," Bella concedes, "but there have to be situations like that out there. I mean, you and I had no idea we had soulmates waiting for us. Anything is possible."

Denver shrugs. "Most wolves are willing to do anything to be with their mate. It's just the way we're programmed." Leaning over, he pressed a kiss to her temple.

"Just like how you monsters are programmed with insatiable sexual habits," Emery says.

"What?" Bella squeaks.

"Don't act innocent," her sister accuses. "The whole fucking pack house can hear you two fucking like rabbits at all hours of the day and night."

Bella starts choking and Denver smacks her once on the back, sending a small chunk of chicken sailing across the table. The piece of half-chewed meat hits Emery square in the forehead.

She gasps in shock and revulsion. "Bella!"

"Sorry," her sister coughs, drinking some water. "The thought of my sister hearing me have sex disturbs me on so many levels."

"Oh, me too! I know too much. There are some things I can't un-hear, you know?"

Denver and I exchange an amused look. We're used to it. Sex and nudity are just normal and expected parts of life around here.

"You humans," I mutter, rolling my eyes. "Such prudes."

Emery looks insulted and Denver wraps an arm around Bella's shoulder, clearly to comfort her mortification.

Someone's buzzing phone interrupts us. Emery grabs her device from the table and checks the caller.

"It's Mom?" she says, sounding surprised.