SEVENTY FIVE

emery

Bella and I watch as the Jeep disappears back down the driveway. She folds her arms over her chest and sighs, shaking her head.

"What are they going to do?" she asks.

I shrug. "If I know. Come on, let's head inside."

She follows despite her evident reluctance. "You can't deny that was weird, though."

"What?" I say because I'm not sure if she's referring to how our mates just dumped us off at the pack house, how our parents took to Denver, or the situation with Lenora's mother. Or if she's referring to all of it, which would be fair.

We plop down at the kitchen table, which I'm grateful is otherwise empty at the moment.

"How Lenora reacted to her mother."

"They have bad blood," I say, frowning.

I hate what her mother said about Lenora finding a 'new family.' She made it sound like my mate betrayed her, but Lenora is the most loyal person I know. There's no way she would have turned her back on her parents if she thought she had a choice. They must have done something unforgivable.

"She hit her in the throat," Bella says. She shakes her head and glances around, lowering her voice. "They're so violent. I don't know how you're so calm."

"You know they can still hear you whisper," I mock her with a smirk.

Her face reddens and her eyes grow wide.

"I've spent a lot more time around them. I'm just used to it, I guess. You come to realize they would never hurt you. At least, not intentionally."

She swallows hard. "Have they ever hurt you?"

"No," I assure her quickly before remembering Arabella and the rogues. "Well, no one from the pack has, at least."

"That's cryptic. Are you insinuating someone else?" my sister asks archly, her lips pursing.

I can't repress a chuckle. She's never been protective over me a day in our lives. Maybe my Luna influence extends over her now, too?

"Let's just say that the wolf hierarchy is a lot more complicated than you probably think."

"That's even more cryptic!"

Two sets of feet pad into the kitchen and our conversation quiets. I flash Caden and Desiree a smile.

"Hello, you two," I say.

"Hi, Luna," Desiree replies with a grin and a nod. "Y'all talking about the rogues?"

Caden elbows her in the side, and she directs a shocked look at him.

"Rogues?" Bella says.

"They're like outcasts," I explain. "They're wolves not affiliated with any pack. I don't think they're all bad, but some of them like to cause trouble for pack wolves."

"And they messed with you?"

Caden and Desiree visibly tense, which garners her attention. Bella arches a brow at me.

"They've messed with all of us," I tell her. "Be glad you weren't here a few weeks ago. That's all I'm going to say."

"Are we in danger now?" she squeaks.

I roll my eyes. "Stop being such a scaredy cat. You're perfectly safe." Gesturing to the young lovebirds, I add, "We have these wonderful people to thank for looking after us."

They both preen under my compliment, and I smile widely.

"Thank you, Luna," says Desiree. "We were about to make some popcorn and put on a movie if you two wanted to join?"