prologue

It's been a rough few years. I've been raising my daughter for the past 3 years all by myself. Her father has been out of the picture since before she was born. My friend, Andrea, has been the only one to really help me out through this all. I'm so thankful for her.

~

"Mama, can we get cookie?" Ellie says with a sweet smile.
"Sure, muffin"

We walk to the cookie aisle of target and Ellie picks out a package of Vienna Fingers, her favorite. She hands them to me and I put them in the cart. Ellie starts to run down the aisle and she goes somewhere else. I follow behind her and when she is out of my sight, I hear her say "hi Mr Tall Man!"

When I arrive to the aisle, she is sitting on the floor talking to a tall man but I don't look at his face. I pick her up, "don't sit on the dirty floor, silly!"
"Sorry," I say with a laugh, "she likes to talk to anyone who will listen."
"It's fine, she's adorable," he replies with a giggle. I know that voice and I know that laugh.

I look up and see Jack. Jack fucking Gilinsky. My ex boyfriend.

"Adriana?"
I nod embarrassingly, "in the flesh.. Hi Jack..."
"It's been so long... How have you been?"
"I've been ok... You?"
"Same here," he crouches down, "and who is this beautiful girl?"
Ellie smiles, "I'm Ellie, I'm 3!"
"Well hello Ellie! My name is Jack!"
He stands back up, "uh.. if you don't mind me asking, who's the dad?" Jack whispers.

Well shit. I guess I forgot to mention to him 3 years ago, when he broke up with me, that I was pregnant. I found out a week before, and was waiting to surprise him with the news. I didn't want to tell him because I didn't want him to feel like he had to stay around.

"Adriana...."
"Sorry, I zoned out I guess..."
"It's ok.. but who's Ellie's father?"
My face becomes red, "uh... I think we need to talk..."
His eyes grow wide and he looks up and down, between Ellie.
"She has your eyes..." I mutter.
His eyes start to water and he has the biggest smile on his face. I grab his hand, "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you, Jack... Come over for dinner tonight, get to talk to Ellie, then we can talk after I put her to bed."
He nods, "I'll be there, you still at the same place?"
"Unfortunately.. Come around 7, I'll see you later," I look down to Ellie, "come on baby, let's go"
"By Mr Jack!" she says as she waves.
We start to walk away, "Adriana..."
I turn around and he pulls me into him and gives me a hug. At first, I don't know how to respond, but then I hug him.
"I'm so sorry you've had to do this alone, Adriana..." he whispers.
"It's ok..."

I pull away and we walk away.
"Why did you hug that stranger, mommy?" Ellie asks
"I'll explain later.."

AN: what do you guys think?? Please vote and comment what yall think! 😘