nineteen

gen lifted the apple to her mouth, lighting the top of it before taking a drag. she shut her eyes and exhaled, already feeling herself beginning to relax.

" this is good rich people weed. " she said, passing the bong over to taylor who took a hit.

" taylor! camp is in four days. " belly said as taylor blew out the smoke.

" so? they wont drug test you. " genesis let out a laugh as she said it, taylor joining in for a second before she stopped.

" coach would of had to put that in the email right? " taylor passed the apple over to skye. gen couldn't help but laugh at how worried she got for a second. the bong was back in gens hand and she took a few more hits. it reminded her that she hadn't text her friends for a few days, and that when she got home she needed too. gen didn't want them to think she was blowing them off the second the fishers got back into town.

" are we playing truth or dare, or what? " steven asked, looking down at the girls. gen blew out the smoke and nodded her head, patting her hand on the ground in between her and taylor.

" i dare you to eat the apple bong. " belly said, smirking up at steven. gen quickly took her last few hits before passing it over to him.

" all you, big boy. " she said as he took it off of her and examined it.

" i'm not scared, i've done worse. " he took a bite into the apple and instantly regretted it, spitting it out all over the girls. they all squealed, flicking off the pieces of apple that landed on them. the whole group was sat down now.

" where do you see yourself in ten years? " cam asked conrad. he took a few seconds before he managed to answer.

" here honestly. coming back to cousins. " he began to list off the reasons why, gen smiling at him as he spoke. conrad spoke with so much love about cousins, there was no way they were going to let the house sell.

" how come you quit lifeguarding? " jeremiah asked genesis. gen sucked in a breath, shrugging her shoulders. she hadn't had enough weed for this conversation.

" i didn't quit. i stopped showing up to my shifts after mom and dad divorced. do they ' let me go' " she answered, using quotation marks at the words her boss said. the group went silent.

" your parents split up? " taylor asked, looking between grayson and genesis. both of them just nodded. it was silent for a few seconds, none of them knowing what to say.

" come on guys! no one's playing truth or dare right!" steven exclaimed, trying to lighten the mood.

" okay, i'll give it a whirl. " skye said, looking around the circle at who her victim would be.

" belly, i dare you too uh. kiss jeremiah. " it was such an innocent dare, but genesis felt as though her heart had been ripped out of her chest. she knew that skye hadn't done it on purpose, maybe if she knew the whole story she wouldn't of even considered saying it.

nobody said anything. nobody moved. conrad and gen looked at eachother, both wearing the same expression on their face. belly looked over at jeremiah, his smile slowly dropping off of his face. they better fucking not.

" aren't we too old for that kind of shit? " jeremiah's words made gen let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. he looked away from belly and over at gen. the game moved on, but gen wasn't really there when they played. the only time gen paid attention was when she listened to cam talk about loading his sister.

" let's go get the blankets. " the boys all got up, heading over to the golf cart to get all of the supplies. gen lay her blanket on the edge of everyone, laying back and looking at the stars. one stood out brighter then all of them. susannas star.

gen sat up, looking around and watching everyone get comfortable. she sighed and stood up. she just needed a minute to herself. gen walked over to the golf cart, jeremiah watching her as she did. he debated it for a few seconds, but he finally gave in and followed after her.