15. Monte Carlo

Morning, August 27th, outskirts of Dutch Harbor Alaska

Jacqueline stood in the middle of the dining room, reading the list again from top to bottom. She breathed out slowly through pursed lips and threw her head back to stare at the ceiling. Bogdan and Aleksandr stood patiently.

Laura sat quietly, two tables away in the dining room, pretending to nurse a cup of black coffee. Jacqueline asked her to arrive and observe from a distance, armed. The Russians, or she assumed they were by the accents, hadn't specified anything about armed guests. Laura clocked the pair immediately. The older, stockier one moved with an air of confidence and even brute sophistication. His accomplice looked wiry and jumpy. But together, they projected a certain authority. Laura couldn't hear every word over the din of the lunch hour, but she didn't need to; she saw Jacqueline's face blanch after the list changed hands.

Jacqueline stood stationary for a moment then folded the list neatly in her pocket and started walking toward the entrance to the dining room, accompanied by the two Russians. One stood to her front, one to her back, both with their hands in their coats. As she passed the ornate flower display, she pretended to adjust her waistband and knocked the list out of her pocket, where it fell at the base of the entry table. She hoped Laura would see it.

Laura saw the note drop and paused a beat for the trio to exit the dining room, then quickly strode over to pick up the list. The neat type read:

We are armed. We require the full cash reserves of your on board casino. We know how much cash to expect. If you do not comply, we have ways of causing significant harm to your guests. There are contingencies in the event the men you see are harmed. Any deviation from this order will not end well for you. Do not consider it. Comply with the following steps:

On receipt of this list, ask all security personnel responding to stand down and resume their ordinary duties

Walk directly to the casino, and request that the safe be opened

We will observe you, and any officers or staff involved in opening the safe

If we have any indication that you have contacted law enforcement, we will use a hidden contingency to cause great harm to your ship and guests

Assemble the cash in $10,000 bundles, and bag them in duffel bags

Do not attempt to mark the bags with dye or paint, or to insert a tracking device

Deliver the bags to the waiting helicopter

Allow the helicopter to leave, unimpeded

Any attempt to follow the helicopter will result in grave harm

You are in more danger than you can possibly imagine.

Laura shook her head. Laying it on a little thick, she thought. She read it again then paused. A larger team or hidden retaliation is the most important thing here. But could they be bluffing? She folded the note, slipped it in the inside pocket of her blazer, and walked straight to the elevator.

Outside the dining hall Jacqueline walked with a measured pace toward the cacophony of slot machines and acrid must of stale cigarette smoke that trailed out from the casino. She reached the staircase to the casino, and saw employees milling around full rows of slot machines. Further ahead, felt covered poker tables buzzed mid-hand with attentive dealers while a roulette wheel spun.

Laura reached the bridge a few minutes later. She found Helen, and handed her the list. Helen cleared her throat. "Officers on the bridge circle up! We have a new development." When the group assembled, she passed the note around the tight circle.