33. Fire Fight

The old English couple made their way to the lifeboats. The boat was hanging from the side of the ship. It was a bit like a big, smooth, orange limpet. They were joined by five other people who all looked nervously at each other. The night air was cold. Sea spray and sideways rain forced them all to duck their heads inside their jacket collars and hoods.

One of the men stepped forward. He was about 60 years old. His hair was silver on his temples, and he had a strong, square jaw and close cropped hair. He stood in the middle of the circle. "I'm sure you all heard why we're here. The ship has been compromised. Explosions are ringing out, and passengers are dead."

A few around the circle nodded. The ship rocked under their feet. One woman walked to the railing. She looked down. Flood lights on the side of the ship stabbed through the pitch black into the spray and rain. The patch of lit ocean was churning and roiling. She thought she might be sick.

He continued. His hands were clasped behind his back. "In my younger days, I was a Lieutenant Commander in the US Navy. We will get through this if we stick together." He paused. "I don't know whether I should say this, but I also suspect the crew of the ship is compromised."

"You can't possibly know that!" Another man held his finger up in protest.

"No, I can't. Not for sure. But I do know that ordering passengers into lifeboats without a general muster is highly irregular. Something is very wrong. I'd rather get off the ship sooner than later."

A murmur of assent passed around the circle. Everyone was dressed in some chaotic assemblage of pajamas and heavy overcoats.

"So, let's get on with it. No time to waste." He hefted open the door of the lifeboat and gestured with his arms for his group to board.

The woman who had been looking over the railing paused on the threshold. "Won't we... sink? It's dismal down there."

He shook his head. "No, ma'am." He slapped the side of the lifeboat. "These are sealed completely. If we go under, we'll pop right back up. Like a wine cork in a bathtub. We'll have food and water for three days, too."

She nodded. Her face was strained, but she didn't seem to have another option. She took a place in the life boat and slid on the five-point harness. The inside of the lifeboat was white fiberglass. It was painted to a high shine. The seat cushions were bright orange. The only windows were a row of circular portholes running down the side. They were barely the size of salad plates, she thought.

The man boarded last. He told everyone to fasten their harnesses. He heaved the large door closed again behind them. He found a small control panel inside the door. It had a glowing launch button, covered with a small safety cage. He strapped himself into the nearest seat. The straps were hefty and double stitched from thick orange nylon. They ended in heavy metal buckles that made a reassuring clack.

He scanned the boat. "Ready?" Everyone nodded. A few were holding each others' hands. They were all silent.

He punched the launch button with the side of his fist. The boat lurched forward. It began to roll on squeaky metal rollers. It picked up speed. The passengers felt the bottom drop out of their stomachs, like the top of a roller coaster lift. It flew free of the side of the ship with a sickening lurch. It plummeted nose down and hit the water hard. The impact wasn't audible over the wind and waves. It immediately disappeared under the churning sea.

—-----------

Laura and the security guard made her way directly to the cargo hold. She felt like she had memorized the hallway and the elevator from watching and re-watching the security footage. They passed by the Junior Wayfarer's on the right. The space was quiet and empty. In her mind she saw the dead security guard slumped in a pool of blood on the floor. The nanny and employee hog tied and gagged by the door. She shook her head to clear it.