8. Tiny Ironing Board

August 20th, Juneau

The next morning, Francis again knocked on Laura's door. He was holding a silver tray. "Good morning, Laura. Always a pleasure to see you."

"Morning, Francis." She took the tray with both hands. "How's the ocean treating you?"

"A cruel mistress." He smiled. His dimples beamed. "Oh. I have a message for you." He reached into his suit jacket and pulled out an ecru colored envelope. He bowed slightly. "Enjoy your breakfast."

She pushed her laptop aside and set down the tray on her coffee table, heavy with a carafe of coffee, a croissant and small ramekins of butter and jam, and a small glass of fresh orange juice. The steady sound of waves and a cool satly breeze streamed in through her cracked open balcony. She poured herself a cup of coffee, watching steam swirl above it. The room filled with the roasted, comforting smell while she sat down and leaned back to enjoy it.

She pulled a card on embossed Cecaelia letterhead out of the small envelope from Francis and opened it. It read:

Please join me for lunch, Captain's orders.

I can walk you to the Officer's mess. I'll stop by your room at noon.

XOXO, secret admirer

If you're late, you walk the plank.

Laura smiled and sipped her piping hot coffee. She used the knife to split her croissant, and spread butter and jam inside. She took a bite of the light, flaky, and nicely browned pastry and smiled at the simple pleasure of a good pastry chef. She opened her laptop, and sat down to work.

A few hours of fighting back a mounting email inbox later, Laura rubbed her bleary eyes. She felt the tension in her shoulders and rolled them to try to stretch. On cue, there was a knock on the door.

Laura opened it to Helen standing framed perfectly in the doorway, her uniform was white and neatly pressed. She smiled broadly. "Hello, Laura. Ready for lunch?"

"Very."

"Awesome. I know a spot. I know it because I have to eat there every day."

Laura smirked. "Wow. Mandatory. That's high praise."

"Okay, fine. It's not mandatory. But you'll be pleasantly surprised. I hope at least." She tilted her head down the hall. "This way."

They walked down the hall to the bank of elevators, followed it up a few decks, then got off. They walked to one of the main dining rooms, full with couples and families lining up for lunch reservations. They weaved through the line, and Helen led the way to a side entry to a staircase with another bank of elevators. Helen tapped her Amulet against a small gray sensor below the elevator call button, and it lit up green. She tapped it and the waiting elevator's doors opened silently.

One floor above, they made their way to the area directly above the passenger dining room. The officers' mess opened into orderly rows of benches and white quartz tables, an orderly arrangement of blonde plywood above light green carpet and a contrast to the round tables and tablecloths in the passenger dining room. Square ceramic pots held small plants in the center of each table. Like a deluxe IKEA cafeteria, thought Laura.

Helen gestured to a table and they took seats across from each other. Helen leaned forward and cupped Laura's hand in hers. She looked her directly in the eyes and inclined her head. "I am so glad you are here. Honestly."

Laura's eyes widened in surprise. "I'm glad I'm here, too."

"No, really." Said Helen. "It means a lot."