29. Pepper spray

The first couple through the door of the bridge strode directly to the assembled circle of officers. They reached the circle and forced their way in. Laura walked over to join the group. The wife was tall, wearing a black cocktail dress. Her jewelry shimmered as she folded her arms in front of her.

Helen calmly turned to the passengers. "Hello. Welcome to the bridge. I am your captain, Helen Chen-Morris. I see that Bailey provided you with an escort. Thank you, Bailey." Her face was contrite. "I wish that we were meeting under better circumstances. I assume you are the families of our missing children?"

The wife nodded. Laura was impressed with Helen's ability to turn on a dime. She knew exactly what she was doing. She was turning an unexpected, unauthorized group into a welcome Captain's tour. Taking the wind out of their sails.

The husband cleared his throat. "They aren't missing. They are kidnapped." He was wearing an expensive, finely tailored black suit with a black tie.

Helen inclined her head. "Of course. Forgive my phrasing. You can understand that this is an unusual circumstance for everyone in this room."

Laura smiled. Finding common ground. This was moving in a good direction.

The husband nodded. "I get it. But look, my Asher is still somewhere on this goddamn boat. We haven't docked. Why haven't you found him?" He was gesturing sharply.

Helen nodded thoughtfully. "I understand. It's a delicate situation. We have a kidnapping on board, and that isn't the specialty of our security team. If I were in your shoes, I would want assurances that the best people for the job are handling it. Don't you?"

The husband chewed on this. "What is your plan, then? Who are the right people?"

"The FBI Anchorage field office is sending a full team, with SWAT equipment and a negotiator."

His eyes widened. "A SWAT team? Are these dipshits armed?"

"I can't share every detail about the situation."

He swatted the answer away dismissively and started to pace. "Look, I just got a text message demanding a huge ransom. It's enough having your kid taken, but this ransom is catastrophic. I would have to sell enough shares of my company to lose my controlling interest. My jackass investors would get the board whipped up and kick me out. I would be disgraced. Do you know what that means?"

Helen shook her head. "No."

He smiled darkly. "I guess you wouldn't. Enough to say that it fucks my life. My name is on the building, and I wouldn't be allowed in it."

"I understand."

"Well, you just admitted that you don't. But look, it's fine. The FBI is on the way. Hooray for the fuckin' cavalry. They'd better be here with bells on."

"They're in the air now. They took a cargo plane from a nearby Air Force base. This is urgent for them too."

"Good. It should be." He took a deep breath, and sighed. It was a long, frustrated sound.

He started pacing again. He traced a small circle. Deeply polished oxfords compressing the thin carpet in the bridge. His circle widened. He walked around the bridge equipment, seemingly at ease being let into any place. Being important in any space he entered. He walked to the steeply raked windows and looked down at the thrashing sea below.

His back was turned to the group. "What if they can't get to us?"

The ship continued to rock and sway during a brief silence. "Pardon?"

"I mean, what if they can't board the ship? Are you seeing this weather? It's a shitshow."

Another bridge officer spoke up. "Of course. We've been monitoring the weather. We have plans to allow them to board, and backup plans if those don't work."