23. Insubordination

Helen, Jacqueline, and Brown all stood in a close huddle in the bridge. The panoramic windows outside showed a choppy sea. Spray was washing up against the glass and falling down in large sheets. The sky was darkening as night began to fall. The ship was staying in a holding pattern outside Dutch Harbor. It was beginning to rock side to side in the growing wind swells. The rocking was gentle, for now, but the forces needed to rock such a ship were enormous.

Helen looked at both of them with stern, appraising eyes. "I'd like a sit rep. We have ten children and two crew members missing, and one crew member deceased. What do we know?"

Brown nodded. "Yes, captain. We've had limited time to investigate, but here's what we've learned so far. The two crew members are Dmitry Andreyev and Pavel Kozlov. We traced their amulet tracking data to the site of the kidnapping, but the track runs cold shortly after. We think they may have disabled their trackers. They could be hiding out below deck."

Jacqueline stood with her arms clasped behind the small of her back. She felt transported back to her prior life as a detective. "Kozlov and Andreyev were both hired within a month of each other, both about five months ago. Both reported Russian nationality, and from what we understand they hail from the same area in Russia. We believe they planned this well before they were both hired. Andreyev is a former paratrooper from the Russian armed forces."

Helen nodded. "Ok. So, how long until the FBI is on site?"

Brown's eyes fell. "We have three problems, right now. All are important to update you on." He held up an index finger. "First, the FBI field team is en route from the Anchorage field office. Under good conditions, it is a three hour and twenty minute flight to DUT. The team let us know they flew immediately on an Air Force c130 from Elmendorf. They are coming with a full complement of tactical gear. They are in the air now."

Helen's eyes narrowed. "Ok, where is the problem?"

"Firstly, we have two hours left in the air. Secondly..." He paused to inhale deeply. "The low pressure zone we've been tracking is going to be on top of us by the time they're here. They will be able to land at DUT, but they won't be able to board the ship via float plane or helo. The winds will be too high. We will need to either wait, or dock at Dutch Harbor and let them on board at the dock."

Jacqueline interjected. "But docking brings a risk of the kids being taken off board. We can have a perimeter around the ship, but it's always a higher risk than staying in a holding pattern at sea."

Helen nodded. "Right. What are the other two problems?"

Brown held up a second finger. "Number two, the Coast Guard sustained a casualty investigating in Dutch Harbor. The helo was fired on with about five high powered rifle rounds, we think. They had to re-route to a hospital. One officer is currently being medevaced."

Helen's eyes widened. "Jesus. Who was it? How seriously were they hurt?"

"Officer Yu. One round came through the hull of the helicopter and struck him in the knee. He is alive and stable, but he has a long recovery ahead of him."

"Are Laura and the other two officers coming back to the ship?"

"Yes, but they were delayed by stabilizing Yu and making the transfer. They are leaving shortly to make it back to the ship. We're hoping it's before the worst of the low pressure is on us."

"Why were they fired on?"

"Well, we discussed how we think the kidnappers and the Russian mobsters who escaped are all part of one choreographed plan, right? The helo they took to shore had been burned completely. We think the mobsters who landed earlier set up a sniper at the airfield. Injuring a few officers and then escaping would complicate our response."