Chapter 4 - The Danger Zone

4

It was late morning the next day with the hum of only the ceiling fan above in the mostly empty concrete room, with Sam sleeping flat on his back with his feet hanging off the edge of the small metal-frame bed, our naked bodies tangled up together as I slept on his chest with my legs straddling his sides and a thin sheet barely covering the bottom half of us.

Just then there was a loud metallic squealing that escaped from the heavy door to the panic room, causing Sam and I both to jolt out of sleep and grimace from the loud noise and light just as Dean stepped in, his eyes stopping on us before he raised his eyebrows, letting out a short laugh, "Oh? Sorry-"

Sam groaned a little, looking back towards the door through squinted eyes when he had a look on his face like he had just remembered he was naked, fumbling with the sheet and pulling me closer to him, "What the hell, Dean?!"

Dean chuckled a little, averting his eyes to the ceiling and shrugging with a smirk, "Something told me you two would be down here?"

I made a face, lifting my head up and blowing the hair out of my face, "What do you want, Dean? It's like..."

I furrowed my brows, trying to think of the time as I squinted up at the light above us, "It's still morning, right?"

Dean raised his eyebrows, letting out a laugh as he shook his head, "Just barely? It's quarter to noon, Sammy. You were supposed to be up an hour ago to be ready to go back to the house? It's not even close to being done yet."

Sam groaned, dropping his head back on the pillow and accidentally hitting his head on one of the bars, cursing to himself when I looked back, shaking my head, "Why can't you guys just go without him for today? We just got engaged, for god's sakes? Let us be hungover in peace!"

Dean glanced back at me, letting out a sigh and shrugging, "Alright, fine... It's not like we need the help anyway, Jim and Casey are stopping by to help today."

I made a face, furrowing my brows, "Do I know Casey? Why don't you guys just hire actual electricians instead of family members?"

Sam's eyes were still only half open as he spoke, his voice still a little gravelly, "Yes, you know Casey, he's the one we beat that one time at the Christmas poker tournament? And, it's because we're on a dozen different watchlists, including homeland security, so... No, we cannot hire a professional to fix the wiring in the same utility closet where we keep our grenade launcher."

I stopped, raising my eyebrows, "Oh yeah, Casey..."

Dean started to feel awkward as he avoided eye-contact and slowly backed out of the room, "Well, I'm gonna go... We, uh... We have a lot of work to do on the house."

I stopped, giving him a look and shaking my head, "I thought you guys were almost done rewiring the house? What else do you have to do?"

Dean stopped, hesitantly looking over at Sam when Sam stopped too, "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you? I, uh... I convinced Bobby to help us renovate the house a little? Including, adding a sunroom on the second story above the back patio, so you can have a music room slash art studio?"

My eyes went wide as I looked back at him and grinning, "Wait, really?"

Sam smiled halfway up at me, shrugging, "You always said how you wanted one, so... I thought if we're gonna be staying there for a while, you might want to have your own space every once in a while?"