Chapter 6 - 700 Club

6

It was now dark out as we all stood at the back door of an old-looking green two-story house as Sam knelt down, using a lock-pick to break in through the back door.

I stopped, looking down at him and shaking my head, "You know, I could've just poofed us into the house, right?"

Sam then pushed the door open, looking back at me, "I got it."

We all started to walk through the dark house, getting out flashlights and searching through the rooms separately for any clues.

I flashed my light over the front of the fridge, seeing pictures of an older man wearing a tan uniform with short shorts and made a face, raising my eyebrows, "What are we looking for anyway? I thought you said he was clean?"

Sam started to head back down the hallway and into a sort of office as he shrugged, "Well, that was until we found out that the last victim had dirt on him? We're just looking for any connections between the two victims."

I furrowed my brows, following Sam into the office and looking around, "What kind of dirt? He was just an accountant? What, did he work for the mafia or something?"

Sam stopped, shaking his head as he started to go through the desk, "I don't think the mafia has any ties in New Orleans? But no, he, uh..."

I stopped, watching him as he sat down at the desk and turned on the computer, shrugging and looking up at me, "I found skeletal remains in his basement, buried under the concrete. I don't know how they knew, but they were right... He was corrupt."

I furrowed my brows, shaking my head, "So, what? Now my evil twin is a do-gooder vigilante? Cleaning up the streets of New Orleans?"

Sam stopped, looking back down at the computer and shaking his head, "We don't know if it's really Meg behind all of this yet. Just... Try to help search the house while I crack his password?"

I stopped, raising my eyebrows and giving him a look, "You can do that?"

Sam shrugged, "I've hacked into the Pentagon before, Cat. I think figuring out what Sheldon Gregory's computer password is should be a walk in the park?"

I raised my eyebrows, turning around and scanning the walls, "An illegal walk in the park, but sure, Sam... I'm just learning all kinds of new things about you?"

Sam hesitated, looking back at me and shaking his head, "What's that supposed to mean?"

I turned back, shaking my head, "It's not a bad thing, I'm just saying? There's a lot of things about this job that I never knew before? Like... How comfortable you are examining dead bodies?"

Sam started to type on the computer, pressing a few keys before the main screen booted up, "I never said I was comfortable doing it, I just know what to look for?"

I stepped behind Sam, going to the other side of the room when I then noticed a flier for a church, recognizing the name and reaching out to pick it up, when Sam then stopped in place, reaching for his head and grimacing a little.

I stopped, looking back, "You okay?"

Sam blinked a few times as he rubbed his forehead, shaking his head and trying to resume what he was doing on the computer, "Yeah, it's just a headache."

I made a face, turning back towards him, "You've been getting a lot of those lately. You sure you don't want me to try practicing my healing skills on you again? I think I'm getting closer."