Ch. 12: Surprising Relief

Eda was in the Owl House, resuming her peaceful day after her family left.

"Okay, let's try this again." Eda said, closing her eyes.

Right as she did that, the young Titan kicked the door open.

"Eda! I need your help with something!" Luz said, seeing Eda on the couch. "Something heavy!"

"Kid, I just helped Lilith get her own harpy form after a surprise visit from my parents. What could be heavier than that?" Eda asked, keeping her eyes closed.

"We found out that a friend of mine has been hiding her parents' dead bodies in the basement of her house!" Luz said quickly.

Eda sat up as her eyes ripped open wide.

"Okay, I stand corrected." Eda said as she turned to Luz. "Take me there, now."

Luz nodded as she held her hands out, creating a teleportation glyph between them as Eda rushed to stand next to her.

"Hold on. You'll feel a little queasy." Luz warned Eda.

"Just go, kid." Eda said, putting a hand on Luz's shoulder.

Luz teleported them to the front of Skara's mansion, and she was right when Eda fell to her knees and started dry heaving.

"Oh Titan." Eda said with a groan, holding her stomach.

'That is NOT like a normal Teleportation spell.' Eda thought.

"Eda, we don't have time for this." Luz said to Eda.

"Give me a minute, kid. I think I'm about to lose my lunch." Eda said, taking deep breaths.

After recovering, Eda stood up and the two began to go to the basement of the mansion.

"You never said, who is this friend of yours?" Eda asked.

"Skara Melody." Luz said as Eda flinched from this.

"Wait, that one Bard that you described as a 'Squishy lovable dork'? That Skara Melody?" Eda asked.

"Yeah, that's her. Why?" Luz asked, confused by this.

"I think I went to school with her parents." Eda said, sighing sadly. "...Damn, I hadn't realized they died."

"Nobody did. Skara kept this all to herself and burdened herself with the sadness of it." Luz said, looking down sadly. "I tried to do that with my dad when he died, that's why I want to help her now. Or else this could destroy her."

"More than it already has?" Eda asked as Luz looked up.

They had already made it to the funeral room and they could see Skara was still crying in the embrace of her friends. Eda saw Skara and felt bad, mostly because this girl would be taken away and put up for adoption, and that isn't exactly the best thing ever, as the system was broken, even before the fall of Belos.

"Eda?" Amity asked, seeing the owl lady.

"Hey, Pinky." Eda said as she walked towards them, focusing on Skara.

"You brought your other mom?" Amelia asked Luz.

"Uh, yeah, I brought the only adult that doesn't treat me like some kind of god." Luz said.

"You are, but we get it." Boscha said as Eda kneeled down in front of them.

"Hey, kid." Eda said softly.

"Skara." Amelia said, shaking her to get the bard witch to look up.

Skara looked up, sniffling. Eda pulled the kid into a hug.

"It'll be okay, Kid." Eda said.

Skara was surprised by this but felt a surprising warmth coming from Eda. A warmth she only felt from her own mother.

Eda slowly rubbed Skara's back, while humming a small song to calm Skara down.

'Oh, yeah, she is TOTALLY a mother.' Luz thought, remembering how Eda hated being called motherly a few months ago.

After a couple minutes, Skara was sleeping, completely out cold. Eda picked her up and carried Skara to her room, laying her in her bed.

"Watch her." Eda said, pulling out her scroll, "I have to speak with Lily, she may be able to help since she was in the Emperor's Coven and knows how to fill out certain forms that could get her into a temporary place to live until this is sorted out."

Eda walked off a bit and called Lilith.

"Hey, Lils, I need to talk to you about something important." Eda said before looking confused, "Wait, what do you mean you're at my house? What do you mean someone wants to see me?"

Luz, Amity, Amelia, and Boscha heard the commotion and looked confused as well. They had no idea what was going on.

"Well get to the Melody Mansion then, we have things to deal with and I need your help, I helped you with your Harpy form so you owe me a favor and I'm cashing in." Eda said, rubbing her temple.

"I thought you did that just to help me because we're family?" Lilith replied.

"Oh no, it was that, but also a favor. Now hurry. And if that guest is important, bring them too. I can multitask." Eda said before ending the call.

"Okay, now to wait." Eda said, tapping her foot.

A few minutes later, a large black feathered creature landed outside. Eda went out and saw Lilith.

"Okay, Lily, you can still make documents for temporary custody of a child, right?" Eda asked.

"Yes, but that sounds like something you should discuss with your spouse." Lilith said.

"Spouse?" Eda asked, "I'm... not married."

"Oh, yes, you are! You were drunk and had me officiate the ceremony!" Lilith said, with a smile, "And since I still have an official marriage license, it's legally binding. Now, you should discuss this with your partner."

Lilith moved away, revealing a familiar face behind the wings of the harpy.

"R-R-Raine?"