Chapter 02

Georgia Sullivan chortled, hand on her stomach, as she put her tea down on the oak coffee table to avoid spilling on her fern-green skirt. June smiled on the other sofa, rattling off the stories of her youth. She had loved to break the rules with her twin sister back in her day. They would drive their parents mad, constantly changing things up and keeping everyone guessing. Anne had died a few months before Georgia knew June, so she hadn't been able to witness the trouble first hand.

The ladies were enjoying their weekly morning tea together in June's living room. It was the same time every week, but the day often changed as June liked to keep things a mystery. Today was arranged around Jeremy coming back into town for a short while.

'What are you two ladies up to?' A grey bag dropped to the ground with a soft thud, a tired Jeremy standing in the doorway watching them. 'Am I interrupting?'

'Jeremy, dear, you took your sweet time.' June turned slightly, ushering him towards the sofa. 'Make us some more tea?' She handed him her empty cup with a twinkle in her brown eyes.

Jeremy thought about refusing and relaxing into the seat, but the glimmer in June's eyes had him reconsidering.

'It's my birthday tomorrow, Jeremy. Consider it an early present from you to me.' June winked at him.

'How old are , Nan? Your legs still seem to be working.' He glowered at her, taking the cup from her wrinkled hand.

'I'm only 74!' June said proudly.

'Try 87, June.' Georgia hid a smile as June glowered at her, the very same expression Jeremy had on his face a moment ago. Now, he also had a small smile on his lips.

Georgia shook her head at Jeremy's silent offer of a new tea, holding her own cup tight in her grasp. She still had a half cup left and couldn't take another without casting aside the chores she'd set herself that morning.

'Have you met Jeremy yet Georgia?' June leaned forwards, hand outstretched at Georgia, coughing as she did so.

'Nan, relax.' Jeremy stepped back into the room, concern written into his exhausted features. He fussed over June, telling her to stop being so stubborn and to let him help her.

'Don't worry.' Georgia stood up. 'I'll get the tea. You prefer some coffee?' she asked quietly, hand on his shoulder.

'I don't need anything.' He shook his head.

Georgia raised her eyebrows slightly. 'Okay, but would you like some? I'm sure Aunt June has some in one of her cupboards.'

'Don't go to the stress.' He smiled tightly at her, turning back to tell June to stop being a pain. Georgia didn't hide her smile this time when June told him where to shove it.

By the time Georgia came back with two new hot drinks, Jeremy was slumped in the rose-pink occasional chair, head in his hand.

'What did you do to him, Aunt June?' She handed the tea to June with confusion written into her green eyes. She turned to Jeremy. 'I made a coffee. Plunger. Hope that will do.'

He looked at her, accepting the mug, grateful for something to hold and ingest. 'Thanks.'

It was barely noticeable, even if you were paying close attention, that small sparkle in his brown eyes as he held the hot mug close to his lips. But in June's old age, it was only her hearing that was failing her, not her sight.

'I see you guys know each other.' June narrowed her eyes with a smile. 'She's lovely, isn't she Jeremy?'

'Aunt June! I'm right here,' Georgia reminded her, blushing slightly when she felt Jeremy's eyes graze over her.