Chapter 06

Rain drummed against the roof tiles, a soft pitter patter echoing into the living area. It soothed Georgia. The computer screen dimmed on Georgia's lap as the movie sat paused for some time. Jeremy was outside on the phone, leaving Georgia to relax in the peace and quiet. Despite it being a summer month, this area loved to shed rain and bring wind. It wouldn't be a real west coast summer without rain twice a week.

Eyebrows furrowed into a harsh frown on Jeremy's face; the glass couldn't hide it from Georgia's curious gaze. A pit was forming in her gut. She knew there was something she didn't know about him; it left a sour taste in her mouth every time she was reminded the secret was still there. His walls grew taller each time she tried to pry the truth out of him. Georgia had resorted to pretending the looming grey cloud wasn't threatening to smash Pandora's box.

'Everything okay?' She asked as he stepped back inside.

Her eyes trailed him as he didn't reply. Dirty boots were shed onto the floor and hands dried on his navy woollen sweater before he dropped back down onto the couch beside her. 'Do you mind if I fix this?' His finger jabbed into the back of the couch.

'Did you break it?' She glanced at the back of the couch, unaware anything felt different. He asked the question again, this time without any patience. He was already removing the pillow and blanket as she replied, 'Okay.'

He placed her gently on the green armchair to the side, followed by a lavender tinged pillow and a sleeping cat on her lap. The fabric was so soft against her legs; a welcome present in the damp air.

'What are you doing?' She asked. No reply. 'Jeremy?'

His hands closed around the metal bar hiding just below the seat cushions, yanking it up and out. The bed revealed itself. Sheets were strewn across the thin mattress; Jeremy pulled them tight with a quick flick of the wrist. He stared at the bed, unhappy with how it looked in the dim light. 'Whatever, good enough.' He threw his hands in the air.

'Can you tell me what's going on yet?' Georgia piped up. 'Am I supposed to watch you sleep?'

A small quirk pulled at the corner of his lip. He had battled back and forth in his mind for weeks now, arguing about right and wrong, and after that phone call, he was no longer interested in being the good guy. The guy that everyone can count on to do the right thing. He wanted to be selfish. He had earned that right. Right?

'I thought it would be comfier this way?' His hand patted the bed gingerly, shoulders dropping. 'Join me?' His other hand was outstretched to her.

'You could have said that from the start.' Hair tickled her neck as she shook her head. 'Let's make it a little comfier.'

Mister was handed back to Jeremy so Georgia could add the finished touches. Soft green blankets were put just so on the end of the bed, and the pillows arranged haphazardly against the white standard bed pillows. Those would be re-arranged as they tried to get comfy.

They settled back onto the bed, backs wiggling against the cushions hoping to get comfy. As the movie started back up, Georgia found herself very aware of his arm right next to hers. It didn't feel like it had only minutes ago. Curled up close to him ignited a bolder curiosity, a lingering of want; the possibility of something seemed a little more within reach. She didn't know what to do about it. If she should do anything about it.

Things were no easier for Jeremy. His attempts to solely focus on the movie on her lap went awry. Her fingertips were a breath away from his, but as much as he wanted to simply take what he wanted, to push over that line and change everything, he couldn't. It didn't seem fair. To Georgia, to Faith, even to himself. Nothing was fair.