Chapter 03

Sweat trickled down Georgia's neck as she dug her fingers into the damp soil. It may have only been the end of spring, but it felt like the middle of summer. Despite the constant heat berating her, Georgia kept at it.

Her dedication to the garden kept it healthy and thriving. She saw the garden like she saw her own took time and care, and that couldn't be cast aside just because something didn't feel right. Sun or rain, the garden needing tending to .

Mister bumped his head into her elbow, purring loudly as he flopped onto the garden path next to her little spade. When he really got purring, he sounded like a tractor rumbling down the gravel back roads.

Gardening was Mister's favourite time. He was an outside cat through and through and being able to be around Georgia all day in the sunshine made him a very happy boy. Unless she was watering the plants. Those days, he watched with a keen eye from the protection of the crab apple tree.

Gardening in the sunshine also made him a playful boy. His keen eyes were focused on the punnets of little green leaves next to Georgia's right hand. She moved slowly, aware that Mister watched her every move. It was a game between them, one of her favourites. Who got to the plant first, and who got to keep the plant? As her fingers closed around the last punnet, Mister lazily stretched out a leg and placed his paw on her wrist. He blinked at her, meowing loudly.

'One more. This is the last one, I promise!' She stroked the top of his head before tipping the punnet upside down and gently wiggling the plants out of their home with her other.

Mister groaned, pulling himself up and wandering away. He curled up under the fully blossomed leaves of the crab apple not so far away, enjoying the shade as Georgia patted the last of the courgette seedlings into their spot. He batted a few of the pink and white flowers around as he waited for Georgia to finish in the sun.

'Here. You look like you need this.' A glass of ice-cold water was shoved in her direction.

'Thanks.' Georgia took the glass gratefully, unaware of how thirsty she'd become. Water trickled down her chin as she greedily drank, sighing in relief when she came up for air. 'I really needed that.'

'You've been out here for a while.' Jeremy frowned, moving her hair aside gently to glance at her neck. 'You'll be burnt.'

Georgia stretched her muscles cautiously, feeling a slight ache where Jeremy had poked. He might be right. 'It will be fine.' She shrugged. 'Nothing a cold shower and a good rest can't fix.'

'Come inside, let me put some aloe on it.' He shook his head.

Preventative measures for sunburn were always a safe bet. Even if it wasn't that bad, it would sooth the skin and keep it healthy.

'Fine. But I'll do it.' She finished the rest of the water and headed towards the backdoor.

'Can I make you something to eat for lunch?' Jeremy asked, hoping to be helpful.

'What do you suggest?' Georgia grinned at Jeremy, that twinkle back in her green eyes. She chuckled when he shrugged, wiping her forehead with dirty hands. A smear of dirt was spackled across her forehead in an attempt to remove stray hairs.

'You've uh ... got something ...' Jeremy gestured at her hair. 'Let me.'

Georgia stood there, bending slightly as Jeremy pulled a few leaves and sticks from her hair. When she stood back up, he wiped her forehead with a brown tea towel she hadn't seen earlier. He must have brought it off the line, as she'd hung them up earlier that day.

'Thanks.' Her when she realised he was standing close enough to kiss. She wouldn't make that move, but if she wanted to, she'd barely have to move. That ignited a little fire in her belly.