Chapter 04

June insisted she needed the day on her own. Her excuse was that she was tired from hosting her was ushered out the door with an instruction to find the girl in the cottage.

His fingers were crossed that Georgia was awake with some hot coffee for the taking. She couldn't deny him if he told her just how cruel June had been for kicking him out so early. He'd been in bed only moments earlier.

'Hey, stranger.' Georgia smiled at him, holding the door open and welcoming him in.

A messy bun sat atop her head, tipping precariously to the side as she leaned against the door. It struck an uncanny resemblance to the photo that had been stuck in his mind for days.

There was one difference between that photo and today. Today, there was a smile on her face and a twinkle in those green eyes.

'Coffee?' she asked. Two glazed clay mugs sat on the kitchen, ready for someone to enjoy a morning shot of energy.

'Oh, thank god, yes please.' Jeremy sighed in relief, following her to the kitchen like a puppy after a new toy. 'June kicked me out. If I'd known she'd do that, I would have stayed in bed.'

'And how long could you have had hidden there? June would have found you.' Georgia grinned. She grabbed a third mug from the cupboard and filled it up with the last of the coffee from the plunger.

Jeremy glanced at the untouched coffee on the counter but didn't say anything as Georgia handed him the new one.

'I was just about to make us some fried mushrooms. Do you want some?' Those green eyes watched him as he kept glancing at the other cup and around the room.

Jeremy looked at her with confusion swirling in his features. 'Us? Sorry, I didn't realise you had someone ... here?'

Unease twirled in his gut at the thought of seeing Georgia entertaining someone other than him. He knew that wasn't fair; she wasn't his to want. But that didn't stop him. He wanted that grin and glint in her green eyes looking at him even if it went against everything he believed in.

'Kelly stayed last night, needing a place away from hers. She's having a shower but I'm sure she won't mind.' Georgia rested her palm on his arm briefly, as if aware of his unease. 'She needed a place to crash last night,' Georgia repeated herself.

As if on cue, the bathroom a small blonde woman peeking out.

'I can go if you like – I didn't mean to intrude.' Jeremy placed the cup on the counter, hoping Georgia would let him take the morning coffee with him.

Georgia exchanged a glance with Kelly, a miniscule flicker of the eyes fell in time with an almost invisible nod, before she spoke. 'It's fine. June won't let you back in for a while. I think tomorrow was the last day she gave you to live in the main house?' Georgia tapped the benchtop in thought. 'Or was it today?'

'Oh Christ. It all makes sense now.' Jeremy sighed, shoulders falling.

The slight action disappointed Georgia. She wasn't thrilled about being crammed into the one-bedroom cottage with a man who tempted her, but she was even less excited about doing it with a man who would rather be anywhere else. He wanted to sell the property; June let that slip before he came back.

Here she was wondering what it would be like to kiss the man or curl up in his arms, and he was annoyed that he had to sleep in her lounge. The contrast couldn't have been any clearer.

'I didn't know you were moving, sorry Georgia!' Kelly bit her lip, seeming so small standing against the

'I'm not. June is making Jeremy move in here.'