Segment Three - Dante

My eyes follow Lynaria as she moves around her kitchen like a sheet dancing on a stormy day hanging off a drying line; she's quick and rapid fire, but accurate. She prepares a hot meal in no time and serves us on the little table for two in her home. The cottage is surprisingly large on the inside, bigger than I thought, and I can see how perfect it is for one person or a couple. I take note of the fact her bedroom is in her living room, almost like a studio apartment set up, leaving me to wonder how this is going to work out with "sleeping arrangements." I doubt Lynaria will want to sleep next to me, though I know if I asked, she would likely get very flustered. I wouldn't mind seeing her cheeks flush again because of me. She's cute when she's nervous.

As she sits before me, I'm able to take her in fully without any distractions and I find myself charmed by her big, beautiful yellow eyes. Against her tan skin, it really illuminates on her face. The way her gentle face attempts to conceal worry amuses me. Most women I've met in this kind of situation tend to explode with their emotions, crying or getting super anxious and not being able to stop talking. Lynaria seems to try to keep it all in, opting for a silent look to show her emotion.

Her eyes flicker to mine and I see that light blush I was waiting for, much to my pleasure. I tap my finger against the wooden, off white table and speak, trying to extract any information I can get but also get her to speak to me so I can listen to her song like voice.

"Thanks for the meal and lending your home to me. I know it's a lot to take in, but you get used to it when you do this line of work a lot of the time. I'll do my best to be direct and to the point."

She nods to me, which I perceive as a way to say 'continue,' and I chuckle. A beautiful, doe-like expression with plush lips that just look like they're waiting to be ravished is what I'm met with. Gods, has it really been that long for me laying with a woman? I can feel myself wanting to skip over the whole mission and ask her out on a date. I internally kick myself, reminding myself that I'm here to help those in need as well as fulfill my father's debt. Though, I wouldn't mind asking her out after the mission is completed. Food for thought.

I clear my throat and I lean closer to her, keeping my smooth facade up. Can't let the poor girl think I'm not fit for the job with being aloof and easily distracted.

"If you wouldn't mind enlightening me about the city. I'll be taking a stroll tonight to gather more intel and also, maybe catch this creature sooner than later if I'm lucky."

"Right now you're in the commerce district of Celestia. If you head to the left, coming out of Elysia, you will pass all the shops until you reach the end, where the pier connects to the ocean. The end of the commerce district has a newest addition of bar and night club. If you go to the right, that takes you to the center of town, likely that you've already seen, where the church and courthouse are. The also houses the university grounds as well as other schooling buildings. Oh, and the housing district is behind the church. It's a pretty straight forward layout, Dante. Kind of a big key shape with different grooves if you think about it."

I close my eyes, remembering there being a cemetery on the outskirts of town. It didn't look like there was a ghoulish activity but that doesn't mean shit during the daytime. I have a feeling though this isn't the work of a ghoul, but something much bigger. I nod to her now for acknowledgement before turning my attention to the delicious smelling stew she prepared.

"Thanks for the briefing. It really helps," I say before taking a bite, being instantly gratified with the delicious steak bit to chew on, "and this is amazing by the way."

As the day marches on, the sun setting between the pastel colored clouds of reds and oranges, Lynaria and I spend a lot of the evening just talking after our dinner. I can tell she is a strong, passionate personality by the way she talks about her love for plants and treating them well along with the reason she loves it so much. Her eyes shine in a hue of loving sadness when she speaks of her father, a stark contrast when I think of my old man. Lynaria definitely has an old, benevolent soul and it makes me feel like I've known her for a long time.

"I wish my father was here to see how much Elysia has grown. He would be so proud."

I cradle my cheek against my knuckles as I watch her lace her fingers on her lap, squeezing in an anxious manner. She's been doing this for the last ten minutes and I feel like I know exactly why. When her gaze raises to mine, I feel as if she's staring into my soul. It makes me shudder and a bit uncomfortable, but I realize I've never given my time like this to anyone. When was the last time I had a 3 hour conversation with anyone without getting bored?

"Dante, will you be okay? Doing all of this? I know you have a lot of experience, but... I worry that you do this and don't even think of yourself when you do. You seem to just go into this stuff without abandon just because you have the strength to do so."

I feel my eyes soften as I watch her squeeze her hands tightly, her eyes closing with her motions. Her brown hair acts as a curtain to conceal part of her face and I feel my heart actually gripping as if it's in a vise. When was the last time I actually had someone give a shit about what happens to me? When was the last time I had someone worry about how I feel regarding my profession? Though I've been surrounded by people over the last 15 years that have come and gone, it's almost like I've been standing in a large crowded room without many people actually looking at me. They're around me and can sense my presence, but never look me in the eyes and in turn, never get to really know me. In such a short time, Lynaria has made me feel like I can let down my wall.

Yet again, I don't quite want to appear like I can't focus on the important reason I am here and take the step back from these foreign feelings. I smile at her, though her eyes are closed, and laugh jovially.

"You're really sweet as the flowers you tend to, Aria~ I'll be fine. Don't worry your pretty head with it. Oh, hope you don't mind the nickname. I think it has a nice ring. Kinda reminds me of music."

I stand quickly, stretching my shoulders, trying to loosen myself for what I feel is going to be a helluva time. I take notice to how her face holds a cute expression, taking it that she's alright with my affectionate spin on her name. To reassure her from her previous concern, I pat my dual fire arms I've had stashed on my back holsters this entire time; my trusty girls, Ebony and Ivory.

"I've got these two to keep me company plus a few other things. I'll be back before you know it."

I glance down to her as she moves quickly to stand up, shifting before me in a bashful manner. When she looks up to me, my breath hitches. It's the look of pure determination and the way she demurely removes her necklace and fastens it to my neck that takes me aback.

"This is one of my most favored possessions. It is said to bring good fortune and also healing. It would make me feel better if you took this with you. Even if you stick it in your pocket. I know my father was more capable than I with all this stuff, but the least I feel I can do is provide you with some sort of safeguard along with a place to stay."

My fingers run over the yellow orange stone shaped in a tear form. It's fastened tightly with the black rope holding it down and I tuck it into my shirt so it doesn't get caught on anything when I'm moving around. Lacking thought in my actions, driven by the sentimentality and kindness before me, I grasp her hands, holding them to my chest. I grin at her, wanting to make her feel safe, not realizing how intimate the action can be perceived.

"I'll take good care of it. You're doing more than enough by existing and staying safe by not wandering out at night until this is done. I'll see ya soon."

And like that, I'm out the door and into the night, the cool crisp air being my company along with the nightlife noises and chitter. I can smell the lingering scent of blood as I scale the wall and hop into the alleyway between Elysia and the bakery. Hopefully I'm not too late.