Chapter 27

I rapped my knuckles on the door and waited for someone to answer. I was hoping it would be May so I could see she was ok with my own two eyes and then take her away from all of this mess. She didn't deserve any of this.

The door soon creaked open and Dana stood behind it only showing half her face.

"Can I help you?" She asked in a suspicious tone?

"I just wanted to give this to her," I held out a ring. I needed a quick excuse to see May so I took off one of my rings before knocking on the door, hoping Dana would buy it.

She raised a questioning brow and made no move to open the door any further.

"She left it at the diner. Mary was going to stop by and drop it off but I thought I'd do her the favor and take it off her hands since I was passing through this way anyways."

She stared at me skeptically before opening the door further.

"I'll give it to her," She said as held out her hand.

I didn't make a move to hand her the ring, I only stared at the specks of blood that she wore on her arm. She followed my gaze and quickly dropped her arm.

"One of those pesky thorns must've got me really good. Flowers sure are pretty but it's hard to keep them alive," She said, flashing me a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"They can only grow in healthy environments," I said, eyeing her, analyzing how she was breathing, her posture and eye movements.

"Right....." She nodded before clearing her throat and held out her opposite hand.

"I was hoping I could give it to her myself."

"That's not possible," She said and I frowned.

"And why is that?" I asked.

"She's been feeling a little under the weather today. She needs her rest."

"I see," I said, and dropped the ring in her hand.

"I'll make sure she gets this," She said and quickly moved in an attempt to shut the door.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked after I jutted my foot in between the door and the frame.

She looked down before asking "What's that?"

"Are you guys going somewhere?"

"What makes you ask that?" She asked cautiously. 

"Just the giant U haul that's parked in front of your house," I deadpanned.

"Oh that.... I decided to donate a lot of things and thought it'd rent a truck and drive everything down to a donation center in one go."

I nodded, as I let my eyes settle on the upstairs. All the lights were off, the only light in the house came from a dim ceiling light above Dana.

"How's your Dad?" She drew my attention back towards her.

"He's fine," I said with a suspicious tone.

"That's good," She said before she smiled and shut the door. I didn't like the way she mentioned my father but I wouldn't worry about that right now. My only priority was May.

I continued down the steps and looked up at the upstairs windows, noticing all the lights were out. I picked up one of the rocks that was sitting by my foot and threw it at what I assumed was May's Window.

Nothing.

I peered around the side of the house and I noticed the back gate was open. I looked around to make sure I wasn't being watched before I stalked towards the back of the house.