6. Immutable

A/N:
>>>>> = Time Skip
<<<<< = Flashback
*=*=*=*=* = Next Scene

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Niyla POV:

I forced myself to express a kind of indifference anytime I had to be near Harry and Ron during the classes we shared. It's now mid-November; the day of the feast to celebrate the Goblet of Fire choosing the schools' champions.

There was something claustrophobic about the heavy fog that teetered on the edge of the Forbidden Forest; taunting the side of the castle it was most close to. The slanted light passing through the grounds, from the rising sun signaled, I'd been out too long in the woods. I slipped through the corridors in my wolf form, it was my stealthiest way to move around.— My paws were soundless on the stone floor. I was in my dorm before the others rose from their beds. I dressed for the day; collecting the books I'd need for today's lessons into my school bag. However, all classes today will end half an hour early, so we might not even get a chance to use our books today.

Mr. Bartemius Crouch— Head of the Department of International Magical Corporation— and Mr. Ludo Bagman— Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports, is said to be coming to Hogwarts today to inspect the Goblet and to attend the announcement of the Champions, after the feast.— The moment the Tournament will officially begin. Last night the Goblet of Fire was moved to the Great Hall, it was placed directly in front of the staff's table. Its blue-white flames dimly lit the Hall throughout the night.

I sat on my assigned bed for a moment, twiddling with the ring Draco had given me several days ago. A twinge of trepidation churned my stomach, but I couldn't understand why. My ivory skin was growing pallid, as I let the feeling overwhelm me. The other girls I shared the dorm with had left while I lingered behind, I flung my school robes over my shoulders, pausing at the foot of my bed. Taking one last look at the ring, the constellation showed just as bright as the day it was given to me. I inhaled deeply, closed my eyes, and then pressed the protruding glass top of the ring to my lips. My lips parted as they gently grazed the constellation; I let my hand fall limply to my side.

A sheepish blush soaked my cheeks. I walked through the dungeons past the Grand Staircase and onto the main hall of the castle; I was surprised to see a crowd of students outside the enormous oak doors to the Great Hall. When at this hour they were always open. I failed to hear what anyone was saying, then suddenly the doors opened and everyone poured into the Hall. It didn't take long for people to notice the Goblet was gone, and no staff around to answer any questions.

I sat mechanically next to Draco at the Slytherin table.

"Morning," he looked briefly at me.

"What happened to the Goblet?" I wondered out loud.

He shrugged. "Change your mind about not entering?"

"No," I managed through a bite of my breakfast.

"Still nothing from Potter?" He said after a while.

I grimaced, wrinkling my nose. "No. And I don't care."

"He's lucky—" Draco took a sip from his cup. "I've turned over a new leaf, or I'd kick his ass."

I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Shut up."

"What?" He grinned, smugly. "Don't think I wouldn't fight for you?"

I groaned, becoming more animated as the feeling of dread from before seemed to dissolve, for the moment.

"Stop," I smiled to cover up my discomfort.

"Anything for you, Darling," he smirked.

I narrowed my eyes at him.