22. Word-Of-Mouth And Myths

A/N:

*=*=*=*=* = Next Scene

I've fallen in love

With this middle ground at the cost of my soul

Yet I know, if I stepped aside

Release the controls, you would open my eyes

Atlas 1: Mercury Sleeping At Last

Mercury— Atlas 1; Sleeping At Last  

Niyla POV:

Almost instinctively, I headed toward the entrance hall; up out of the dungeons, and passed the marble staircase. Feeling a little on edge as I chewed the inside of my lip, and eyed the closest exit— the huge double doors that guaranteed the fastest way to the grassy fields of the school grounds. The essence of my empty stomach was practically lurching upward as I quickly realized I was the root of people's conversations. I couldn't get to the castle's entrance doors fast enough.

"How was detention?" Draco strode to my side.

I flinched to a stop, and suddenly felt I didn't need to run off somewhere in the Forest to ease my nerves.— Draco had that covered. I sighed, half relieved to see him.

"Shit," Draco clasped my upper arm.

"You look like your head is going to explode. What? Already overwhelmed with Weasley?" He teased but looked concerned.

"What?" I shook my head fastly; of course, word of George and I would have already reached him.

"No—No, it was... Boring." I rolled my eyes and huffed wearily; hoping my lie was convincing.— The last hour was in no way dull.

He looked at me unbelieving. "So Weasley then?"

"No," I said curtly and blushed.

Draco's expression went slightly impish. "Were you thinking about things you two have only done in your dreams," he looked at me suggestively.

My eyes widened, I could feel my cheeks burning with red. My eyebrows pulled together with fury, my eyes flaring with a dark gaze.

"Eat me," I growled.

"From what end, Darling?" He responded, with an unperturbed look in his eyes; a single dimple showing on his cheek.

I flushed. Nearly too embarrassed to speak. Draco grinned, a laugh subtly leaving his lips. Shockingly it was contagious and I grinned back. It was nice— even if it would only last a second— not to be consumed in a serious conversation.

"Speak of the devil; is that him?"

My eyes followed his, as he nodded in a direction back toward the marble staircase. My smile went brittle as Fred hesitated down the last step, watching Draco and I now stare in his direction.

"No," I spoke with confidence.

"It's his brother," I turned back to Draco for a moment.

"I should tell him about the dragons," I said in a low voice.

"Okay," he pursed his lips slightly, uninterested. "See you."

Taking in the stares from every direction made me feel very awkward walking toward Fred, though his light expression was helping a little.

"Hey, Fred," I greeted when I got close enough.

"Hi," he grinned. "Everything okay?"

"Yes," I looked around to make sure no one was close enough to hear my words.